old computer use

Status
Not open for further replies.
ya those were the days.... back when I had my trusty 486 with win nt, I had some old games on it like duke nukem 3d.

xp lets me play dos games on my system but just it a little command prompt window

mikee said:
My dad is getting a new computer within the next few weeks and I'm thinking of using his old one just for downloading off limewire and bittorrent without tying up my computer do you think this will work?
Oh yeah.
I have managed to get Azurus to run on P-III 450 CPU.
The only thing that would want to do is make sure that you have a big enough hard drive for what you are downloading.

"WAKE UP NEO..." (see sig) was orginally there just for downloading. This was before I upgraded the Video Card and CPU as I had them lying around doing nothing.
And i needed another gaming system.

The other thing that you can do with older computers is use them for media centers. Like "HARPER'S MEDIA CENTER" (see sig) was just made up from left over parts from various upgrades. However I find that you need at least a 700Mhz CPU for DivX and some of the other higher compression codex to work smoothly.

And if you are a star wars galaxies player, an old computer is prefect use to check when the servers are FINALLY finished reloading.

i agree, your computer would work great for downloading, but make sure you dont use wireless! Broadband is better for downloading and will make your computer run faster than wireless.

mikee said:
i don't think bittorrent works with linux
Azureus runs on JAVA. It's not really worried about what OS it's on. Although i think you need at least a 300Mhz CPU for JAVA to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom