Ethernet card trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Houston

Beta member
Hi,

So I have a PCI ethernet card I have never used before, and a new motherboard with an onboard ethernet port, and neither seem to bne working.

In device manager they look fine, and in the system tray I see two little computers with red x's through them and when I hover the pointer is says "network cable unplugged" or something to that effect, which is quite strange as I have my new router plugged in. Also a light should go on on the router indicated which port is attached to the pc once the ethernet cable is inserted, but this does not happen.

And of course the router does not work.

Any ideas?

Did you install the motherboard drivers?
Make sure the ethernet cable is attached to the modem, in the proper conneccotr, I say this because you may have it connected to where the modem should connect, its unlikly but possible still. In control panel under network connections, make sure the incomming connectiopn enabled under properties. Also try connecting without router.

With router attached, try these commands through cmd

ping google.com

if it can ping a site then for some reason its not showing up as connected but actualy is connected.

also

ipconfig/all

ipconfig/release
ipconfig/renew

also, take the PCI ethernet card out and just use onbaord its faster, since its already connected to motherboard. It prolly doesn't help that you have it in.

sounds like you are on top of this already and know what your are doing. There also sould be a light on the nic that should go on when a connection is made. where did you get the cat 5 ethernet cable from, might be a cross over cable or defective. also lokk in system in control panel, then hardware tab , then devices, make sure your nics do not have a red X or exclamation point. on your router you are going from the pc to a LAN port. your modem is plugged into the wan, right ? try another lan port for the pc, could be the router, maybe reset the router...if you do youwill lose your isp settings, try reset last, try direct to your modem, try nic to nic also and see if the network cable unplugged goes away. if it does it is the router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom