Can you help ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim1174

Beta member
I recently just had a new hard drive put in my computer. the old drive worked great but it was a pata and was only 60 gig. i got a new sata that is 300 gig. the problem is the tech guy left the old drive in my system the way it was. my question is there any easy way i can make my new drive the main C drive ? can i just copy every thing from the old drive to the new one ? one thing i noticed after i got the computer home was that my drive has 8 mb cache not 16 will this be a problem for me as a gamer ? the other question i have is there any reason for me to remove the old drive or should i just leave it in my computer ?

I'm not sure about this, so don't go exactly by what I say.
But, he probably left it in so you could have all of your data still..
someone correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you have like a partial C Drive on the second hard drive? Like if the 60gig gets full, then it'll just go onto the 300gig? Once again I'm not entirely sure.
About the cache, you will have no problem with the drive being a 8mb. Those are still very good hard drives, so don't worry about the cache.
Although be sure it's a 7200 Rpm, that may affect loading times and such.
I think you should keep the old drive in, no reason to take it out. It's an extra 60gigs..

I would just put the 300gb harddrive in along with your current one. The 8mb cache won't be a problem, do make sure it is 7200 RPM though, otherwise take it back and get a 7200 RPM drive. You might as well just leave your current drive as the C: drive and copy whatever you want onto the 300gb one.

I checked the box again and it is a 7200 rpm. I just figured that since my new drive was a sata and 300 gig it might be better to have that one as the main but if you think i should leave things as is i will do that

Since it's SATA you should put your games onto it and those will load faster. You could change everything around, but it would just be easier to install it as a secondary drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom