SATA II vs. SATA 150

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickc284

Baseband Member
I just built a new rig, but it supports SATA 150. Just out of curiosity, or perhaps ponderings of future upgrades, is there a significant performance increase between SATA II and SATA 150 in every day use?

SATA-150 actually has considerably noticeable speed improvements over ATA-100, even just when installing SP2 on my comp. Is SATA II worth it?

I could get a PromiseTech 2-channel and a SATA II HD for around $130 on newegg.

SATA II has a 300MB/s as opposed to SATA being 150MB/s. But as far as I can tell the only way ive noticed any difference is when I move files between my hard drives.

I'm going to say you'll notice performance increases during times when you're loading large files and whatnot. (maps on BF2 for example)

Ryan

You won't notice ANY difference between SATAI and SATAII guys, hard drives just simply don't spin fast enough to take advantage of the 150mb/sec bandwidth

To put it into perspective, you have two 7200RPM drives. One uses SATAI and the other uses SATAII. Despite SATAII appearing faster, boht drives are still spinning the same therefore the data on both is still accessed in the same time frame and therefore the bandwidth is identical. Basically what I'm saying is hard drive bandwidth isn't the bottleneck when determining how fast your drive reads/writes, it depends on rotation speed and cache size

Even using a RAID 0 array with two 10000RPM drives you won't notice a difference between SATAI and II

if you notice on the specs of a SATAI and SATAII the seek time is still the same...8.9ms I believe ;)

seek time is what really matters.

raptors are like 4.somethin ms

Under what circumstances does the SATA150 bandwidth get filled up then? If even 10K drives don't ever fill it up then what is the point of the 3Gb bandwidth of SATAII?

then what is the point of the 3Gb bandwidth of SATAII?
sounds fancy and will get you to purchase it because it's 'newer' which means 'better' to most

they aren't lying...because it IS transferring 300mb/sec over the cable, doesn't mean your hard drive can actually write that much though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom