Graphic Card Problem!!! (any advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedge_00

In Runtime
Okay, heres the deal. I got two PC's, and my dad want's me to create a game network between the two..... (that's not the problem though...)

My old Pc is very awful Compaq presario... I know, i know... I installed a GF4TI4200 on it years ago. But i have to upgrade it now due to game demands (BF2 mainly) but the problem is that i can't change the power supply ( I tried everything under the sun, it is physically impossible to change the power supply!!!) So i had to find a video card that would be fine to run at 250 watts, it was either the Nvidia 5700 Ultra or a ATi 9600XT, the problem is that the 5700 Ultra are as rare as hen's teeth in Australia. So i settled for a 9600xt, which is more readily available..

Problem is here though, i have taken out the ti4200, but the mobo has a gf4 onboard video (which requires nvidia drivers to run...) I install the 9600Xt but low and behold, the **** onboard is still the primary video, i try to remove the drivers but nothing, I can't seem to remove the **** nvidia drivers. I can't do a format because the computer won't let me get into the bio's or even does such a thing......

So any help please?

I had the same problem, but instead it was with a Dell. Now im not sure if it will be the same for you as it was for me but I would give it a shot... these are my recommendations:

1. Verify with the computer's documentation or manufacturer that there are no jumpers to disable.

2. If you have Windows 2000 or XP, Before adding the card within windows, disable the onboard Video by clicking on Start > Settings > Control Panel > double click on System > click on the Device Manager tab > click the plus by display adapter > double click on the video card under display adapter > and place a check in the box to disable in hardware profile (towards the bottom). Shut Down the computer and attempt to install the video card into the computer.

I really hope this helps you out. If it doesnt you might want to try: this

sometimes you have to go into the bios and disable the onboard video and allow it to find the video card you've installed. Then it'll select the video card you installed for it's primary.

Ryan

THe problem is that the onboard video is nvidia, so i won't be able to completley remove the drivers though.

It was able to swap to the GF4 TI without even changing in the bio's or even in windows. But the ATI is another kettle of fish...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom