Pretty sure I F'ed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuThoRitY

Daemon Poster
Dudes and Dudetts. LOL I think I screwed up while trying to OC. Heres what I did.

---- BTW, system SPECS are in my sig below, >>>

Ok, I went in to my BIOS and set my multiplier to 10.0x which it was already there. Then I set my HTT to 203, because most people are telling me to do it in increments of 3. So I did that, and then My vCore I'm assuming is VID Control or something like that, it had voltages that went up to 1.55v so I'm assuming this was my vCore, anyway. It was on "AUTO" I changed the option to 1.375v, I thought that was default for 64 Venice's but I wasn't positive.

-----

Anyway after all of this. My computer would boot up to the LOGON GUI screen and as soon as I would type in my pw and push enter, BOOM comp would restart. Only thing I could do at this point was flash my bios. And restart my comp. Then it works. But its not OCed, so... I dunno....

-----

I heard this today, I do not know if it is true or not though. Well seeing the fact that I am using a DFI LanParty nF4 Ultra-D board. It has a 24-pin ATX Power Connector. Now, my power supply is mainly a 20-pin but I have a adapter that plugs in to my 20 and converts it to the 24-pin. Does this have to be a straight 24-pin from my PSU to be able to overclock? Or does that not matter? I really do not know but I thought I heard that today.....

-----

Can some1 work some magic for me plz? I would love to open up a 1on1 thread with someone to help explain what I can do to OC my system because I'm seriously dieing too but my SKILLS apparently suck. LOL or if someone could PM me that would be awesome, I have 5 or 6 different guides and I understand everything. My stuff just ain't working out.

Things to remember:

*Lower HTT/LDT Multiplier to 4x or 3x if FSB speed over 250MHz
*Lock PCI-E frequency at 99/100MHz and PCI frequency at 33MHz
*Set memory divider to 166 if not planning on dealing with memory overclocking

I personally highly recommend you use a native 24 pin PSU connections specifically for the DFI nf4-D...you can live without it, I know Nubius is still using a 20pin PSU and the famous overclocking FUGGER also used a 20pin PSU...but it's obviously not a bad idea to use the ideal setup

But like I said, do what I said above otherwise you'll run into problems very quickly even if you're not overclocking very high

I would raise the voltage. I'm not positive what the default voltage is, but mine was around 1.5v at stock settings. I currently have mine at 1.6v. I also have an older PSU, so I needed a 20-24 pin adapter, and I haven't noticed any problems associated with it. I have an EPoX board though, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

No, you need a 24-pin PSU. You will not get support from DFI f you don't have one, and you can run into problems later, even if the PSU works now for OCing, it will give you your own personal fireworks display in several weeks or so.

No, you need a 24-pin PSU. You will not get support from DFI f you don't have one, and you can run into problems later, even if the PSU works now for OCing, it will give you your own personal fireworks display in several weeks or so.
Common misconception that some blokes at dfi-street will swear by...a quality 20 pin PSU is fine for use with any ATX2.0 DFI board...like I said FUGGER who is well known at XS and I believe set the 7.2GHz P4 record uses a 20pin PSU on his nf4-D without any problems, same with Nubius here

Basically if your PSU isn't junk it doesn't really matter if it's ATX or ATX2.0

yeaaah not true...

not only have I gotten help from 2 DFI reps, but my setup has been working for months now...a friend of mine who not only uses a 20pin PSU, but he also doesn't plug in the FDD connector and his has been going for longer than mine.

I use a 20 to 24pin adapter though and my voltages don't fluctuate from 12v at all (using multimeter to test it)

like gaara said if you have a good strong PSU then a 20 to 24 pin adapter will work just fine.

ESPECIALLY this whole 'fireworks' display you're talking about, that's just a load of crap altogether.

*Lower HTT/LDT Multiplier to 4x or 3x if FSB speed over 250MHz

It needs to be 4x if you're going aboe 200HTT period....it only needs to go to 3x once you've gone above 250HTT....I know you know this gaara, but I'm just clarifying for the original poster.

Poster:
Try:
LTD Bus @ 1.4v
Chipset @ 1.7v

make sure your RAM is underclocked if you don't want to mess with that which is a good idea....use the 166 divider then start raising your htt making sure the LTD Multi is set to 4x.

The above guidance is what I was given from a couple of the people who work at DFI and it seemed to work for my system.

It needs to be 4x if you're going aboe 200HTT period....it only needs to go to 3x once you've gone above 250HTT....I know you know this gaara, but I'm just clarifying for the original poster.
lol why do you think I said "or 3x if going over 250MHz FSB" :p...I kinda wrote it badly and it looks like I'm saying "lower to 4x/3x if over 250Mhz FSB" but I meant what you said, 4x if over default 200 and 3x if over 250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom