sata configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjibe

Beta member
I've just installed a new MB asus k8v se dlx with amd 64 3700+ and the motherboard has native SATA support, and when I try to install XP It's say that there is no HD connected. The HD is a Maxtot sata 300G

In the bios it is not detected ?

What can be the problem?

The first thing a see when I boot the system its say for a few seconds : serial channel Maxtor 300G

thanks

pjibe

When you install windows be sure to press F3 I think, well just read at the bottom of the screen it will say something like "If you need to install a SATA or RAID hard drive... blah blah" and then, you need a floppy with the SATA drivers, you can get that from the motherboard website, or maybe it came with your motherboard.

You shoulden't have to install the drivers if it's native to the motherboard. You might have two sets of SATA connectors. Some from the southbridge, where the boot drives should be and the other ones would be from a second promise controller. Not sure about all that. but that's how it is on my two computers with native support.

you have to download the SATA drivers from the asus website...press F6 at the start of windows install and then it will ask you to install a floppy diskette with the drivers on it....select the correct one and press enter...it will install the drivers and away you go :)

Yes you have to install drivers even if its native to the motherboard because installing XP has only to do with how the XP drivers work, so go your motherboards site and download the thing to make a SATA driver disc. press f3 or whatever button it is (it will have a text line in the bottom) as soon as windows cd is boot then install the drivers and get it to work. As for not showing it in the BIOS you might have to turn on the SATA ports because of some motherboarrds it defaults to IDE and doesnt read the SATA ports if a setting isnt turned on.

Thanks for all and finally I found the way to reach my goal. I probably did not take a short cut but I solved my problem. For the benefit of some people stucked with the same problem, here`s how I solved the case.

By some reason I couldÂ’t install the driver for the SATA configuration during XP installation. I never been able to make my SATA HDD recognized at the strart. What I did, I put my IDE ATA HDD and make a complete XP installation on that HDD with a complete FORMAT. After having the system worked out with this IDE HDD, I downloaded (for free) from the HDD manufacturer site Maxtor a program to perform a clone image of this IDE HDD on the new SATA HDD.

And finally everything worked well.

ItÂ’s important to mention that both HDD has to be Maxtor brand in order to be able to run that program properly and by chance it was the case for me. Maybe somme other programs would do the same thing even for different brand.

Pjibe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom