Building a Computer Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure lol, I think it'd be around 2k, then he'd buy his video card
there's a lot of room for other things for his budget, such as a keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.

cool cool. speaking of keyboards and stuff, just out of curiosity, how much are illuminated ones? i cant find any online >_<

I c what you mean Scumm.

but now that i think about it... you will most likely be better off if you just save up for a system and buy all the parts in a close time period.. because....

example - i have a socket 478 motherboard i got last year for cheap, so i waited for this holiday sease to buy a 3ghz prescott. the price then was 190, the price now is 180... so i was like FTW, i was thinking they would get cheaper... so i just threw that idea out and whent with a Athlon 64, and PCI-E. <- witch would be the same price if i went with that out dated prescott.

and... if you save up instead of gradually acumulating all the parts... a budget setup made from next years parts would probably out perform a High end system nade from this years parts.

PcMe said:
Case - (Your preferance, but here are some good ones..)
Thermaltake Armor
Armor Link
or Cooler Master Cavalier
Cavalier Link

Power Supply - Don't cheap out on this, maybe get a better one, I don't know Power supply's all that well.
Fortron Source 550W
Fortron Link

Processor - I've listed two, don't know what you're interested in.
AMD X2 4800 Toledo
AMD 4800 Link
AMD FX55
FX55 Link

Motherboard - Do you plan on SLI? If so..
DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI
DFI Lanparty Link

Video Card - You plan on getting the 7800GTX 512Mb right?
So I'll leave this blank.

Hard Drive - Here's the deal, capacity or rpm?
If rpm, Western Digital Raptor 74G x2
Raptor Link
If capacity, Seagate 500Gb, 16mb cache
Seagate 500Mb Link

Optical Drives - Yeah I don't know much about them, lol
DVD RW/CD RW, etc. Pioneer
Pioneer Link
DVD-ROM Asus
Asus Link

Memory -Depends on your intentions (OC, etc.)
2Gb OCZ RAM (2 x 1Gb)
OCZ 2Gb

Cooling/Heatsink
Zalman 120mm Copper
Zalman Link

Sound Card
SoundBlaster X-Fi
X-Fi Link
or
Audigy2 Gamer Ed.
Audigy2 Link

Do you need..
Keyboard?
Mouse?
Monitor?
Speakers?
Lights (Neon, cathode, etc.)
Fans, cables, etc.?

If so, I'll be happy to list some for you.

Thank you so much! As for SLI... I would actually like to, I haven't heard much about it so I wouldn't know if it would be like persay... Dualcore, Personally in terms of processors I would feel safer going Singlecore with todays technologies and worry about Dualcore when I believe it is actually helping, instead of possibly doing the exact opposite if you know what I mean? So... with the SLI capability I suppose that means a pretty big leap with Video card related requirements if everything is working properly and technology is using it as it should?

As for the harddrives, I've never really looked much into RPM or Capacity, though I guess it's both obvious? The RPM of it only really effects how fast something is stored or sent out from the harddrive I imagine? It really doesn't effect the performance dealing with actually running software such as an online game does it?

And for overclocking, do be honest... I am halfway afraid to even start dabbling with OC'ing... I'm not experienced with it at all and have heard very little about it and how to do it... so I'd be afraid that I'd burn something up!!

As for the rest of the things you were listing that I might need, yes pretty much everything... I wasn't for sure how many cooling fans I may need, Lights, etc.. I BELIEVE I could handle the monitor and the keyboard/speakers etc.. though it maybe neat to see what someone experienced in whats around anymore show me something?

For my preference on the video card, I know I had mentioned it just because in theory it sounds great to me, but... am I wasting my time? Will the card live up to it's inticapation? So if any of my preference rub ya the wrong way, I'd be more then happy to hear another suggestion!

For the processor I knew I was really looking into the AMD Athlon mainly because I thought going for the XP64 might be a good idea... I wasn't really for sure if I was on the right track there... the better of the two listed? Ah confusion and being naive eh?

But I appreciate it!! A lot!!

::EDIT::

As for cables and all that other stuff... if theres something I am probably going to need, I may not know it, so don't be shy if you may feel like informing on something you may or may not know that I know! haha.. Trying to make sure I turn every leaf here..

jolancer said:
I c what you mean Scumm.

but now that i think about it... you will most likely be better off if you just save up for a system and buy all the parts in a close time period.. because....

example - i have a socket 478 motherboard i got last year for cheap, so i waited for this holiday sease to buy a 3ghz prescott. the price then was 190, the price now is 180... so i was like FTW, i was thinking they would get cheaper... so i just threw that idea out and whent with a Athlon 64, and PCI-E. <- witch would be the same price if i went with that out dated prescott.

and... if you save up instead of gradually acumulating all the parts... a budget setup made from next years parts would probably out perform a High end system nade from this years parts.

I've actually thought of that too... it's confusing really on knowing what to do and having complete patience really...

To accumlate how much I would need to get everything I hope I need haha.. I'm hoping no more then... 2-3 months from TODAY... nothing really crazy like years... I know things change fast, but I figure for a few months if I can accomplish all of this, it shouldn't be too bad right?

But if I'm proceeding to do the wrong thing I'd be appreciative if ya set me straight!

Well the M2 socket is coming out soon, and that means, you will be tempted by it. So you can't get the processor, motherboard and RAM until then (I'm assuming the timmings will get tighter then, as they are quite week atm. if you get the DDR2 @667mhz with 4-4-4-12 timmings.) So you might as well just get it all in one lump. You will also save money from postage.

Trifid said:
Well the M2 socket is coming out soon, and that means, you will be tempted by it. So you can't get the processor, motherboard and RAM until then (I'm assuming the timmings will get tighter then, as they are quite week atm. if you get the DDR2 @667mhz with 4-4-4-12 timmings.) So you might as well just get it all in one lump. You will also save money from postage.

Haha alright, thanks.. I'll have to do a little bit more research, but does this mean if I save up that money and drop it on a piece all at once, does that make me rich blowing pointless wasted ammounts of cash on a computer? ;)

I wanna start actually sighting in on some specific hardwares and such. Like I said I'm HOPING to have what it takes in 2-3 months, if not then that will be ookay...

I know there is some hardware and things on the brink of coming out, like hopefully the 7800GTX 512mb, and this M2 Socket like you were saying, I don't have much access to a computer at all so I'm trying to catch up and get all the knowledge I can!

the 512mb GTX comes out tommorow. M2 should be out 1st quarter, i believe and with it, the FX-60 and X2 5000+ and X2 5200+ in the 2nd quarter.

Spartan666 said:
the 512mb GTX comes out tommorow. M2 should be out 1st quarter, i believe and with it, the FX-60 and X2 5000+ and X2 5200+ in the 2nd quarter.

I was saying earlier, and I apologize for this, it's pretty rare for me to get computer access though if you had time or tolerance for me, I was wondering if you or maybe someone else could contact me tonight on a messanger if you had any

Anti Hero DosMil on AIM
and
antiherodosmil@hotmail.com

I would be really greatfull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom