Please Help!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

needhelpplease

Beta member
I've run into a serious problem and I've tried everything I know to try and fix it. I'm afraid that I'm really stuck and any help would be much appreciated.

This is my system which is about 2 years old:

chipset: GA-72X
processor: AMD Athlon 800Meg
RAM: Kingston 133 256Meg (128 times 2)

partioned into a C drive with the OS and D with everything else, including program files.

This doesn't make any sense to me but the problem all started when I replaced my CPU fan because the one I had on became noisy. When I booted up with the new fan on (which was working), my system almost made it to the main windows screen and then rebooted itself. It did this one more time after almost making it to the windows screen and so I turned the machine off and put the old fan back on.

My computer kept doing this reboot by itself time after time. I was able to go into safe mode but everytime I tried a normal boot up it would reboot itself before the windows screen. I finally booted XP pro from the cd-rom and tried to do a new installation at this point. After it performed the "scanning hardware configuration" and did the reboot that follows, it hung up on the setup installation and I had to reboot.

At this point I reformatted my C drive.

Now everytime I try to another install from the cd-rom, I eventually get a blue screen that says:

File \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 7. Setup cannot continue, press any key to exit.

If I try to boot up normally from the hard drive it says invalid system disc.

I have some really important files that I need access to on that machine (that weren't backed up) and I really need it for my job also.

Please help me, I'm really stuck. Thanks in advance.

this may sound simple, but try putting the old fan back in there. also make sure you put new thermal paste on the back of the cpu everytime you take off the fan.

he said he did try putting the old fan back on with no luck. needhelpplease (nice name) please reset your BIOS and try using only 1 memory stick in the first memory slot.

if you have integrated video it will allocate some main memory for itself. since winXP needs minimum 128MB, ignore my memory suggestion if you have integrated video and just reset the BIOS.

also there is a chance you have a problem with the cd-rom not reading the disc. this is the MS article:

"Ntkrnlmp.exe Could Not Be Loaded. The Error Code Is 7" Error Message Occurs During Windows Setup:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318729

ekÆsine has a good point. The ram may be the problem.

Since you stated this started after replacing the CPU fan, maybe something happened to the ram or the slot, when you replaced the fan. Hopefully it would just need to be re-seated.

RE

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Thanks also for the MS link. Another person I know actually mentioned the RAM also.

Since I have 2 128s though, should I just remove one at a time and then try to boot? I don't know if one or both are bad. They both should be seated right because I never messed with them when I replaced the fan.

Also, how do I reset the BIOS?

Thanks again!

To reset your bios you need to reset CMOS either through your bios or motherboard. If you doing it through motherboard, read your motherboard manual and it'll show ya how to do it. Simply take off your battery from the motherboard then short-circut the pins beside your batter by a screwdriver or any metalic object.

Update

ekÆsine and others,

OK, I tried booting up after pulling the second slot memory stick only, the first slot memory stick only, I tried putting the second stick in the first slot and vice versa and it always ends the same.

It eventually reads my cdrom, inspects my hardware configuration and then starts loading a bunch of drivers. Then it will come to a point where I get a blue screen and it says something to the effect of:

"Windows setup will now stop to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you have seen this screen, try rebooting. If you continue to see this screen and have installed new software or new hardware, make sure that it is functioning properly.....

It goes on to give some technical information that I would post here if you guys think it's important but it's different everytime. Sometimes it will say IRQL_NOT_EQUAL_OR_LESS_THAN at the top of the screen. It will also give five pairs of values at the bottom of the screen like: (X000000001) but the numbers are often different. I'll post some of them if you think it will be helpful.

I tried "resetting the CMOS" but I'm not sure if I really did or if I'm able to from just going into the BIOS on bootup (I really don't know a lot about computers by the way but I have learned a whole lot in the past week). I did reset to the BIOS and CMOS defaults but I'm not sure if that's the same thing, in fact I don't think it is. I don't think I can do it this way on my computer.

I looked over my chipset manual and found where the reset CMOS is supposed (listed as JP 3 in my manual) to be but the manual says "(optional)" right after this listing. I'm supposed to connect 2 and 3 to reset. I find the exact spot on my motherboard, right under the battery where it is supposed to be but there are no pins and no jumper. I looks just like three vertical silver dots. Does this mean that my motherboard doesn't have a reset CMOS jumper? Is this where I put something metal to connect 2 and 3 and if so do I have to reboot while completing this circuit? I sounds kind of dangerous to reboot my computer while holding a screwdriver on my motherboard, kind of like one of those bad "after school specials" that used to come on TV when a kid gets hurt.

Please help and thanks in advance (again).

Can't work without me

nu_in_tha_spot said:
To reset your bios you need to reset CMOS either through your bios or motherboard. If you doing it through motherboard, read your motherboard manual and it'll show ya how to do it. Simply take off your battery from the motherboard then short-circut the pins beside your batter by a screwdriver or any metalic object.

You need me I knew it.... all the time...:beard:

If u manged to get ur CMOS back to defaults .. it means u cleared the cmos..

In anycase .. if ur scared to put on ur system holding down a screwdriver .. then short the pins with a jumper n' then do it ..

Sorry forgot to mention this earlier...

If ur still having trouble installing the OS .. remove all addon cards etc.. (like modem , tvtuner etc..) Then try reinstalling with just the bare basics ..

Later once the OS is installed u can addon the cards

*edit*

Just thought of this too .. in the bios .. set the PnP OS option to NO This will let the bios allocate the IRQ's by itself instead of leaving it for the OS to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom