Building a Computer Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scumm

Solid State Member
Alright, I know that this question probably gets riled up but I really can think of no better idea than asking you all. I feel really assured with everyones knowledge here, and I am more likely to believe everyones opinions here over then say some store representive!

I pretty much do or would like to do everything on the computer. Games, Online Games, Movies, Music, 3d Modeling, photoshop... etc!

I am looking to build a computer, also investing as much as it will take to get something nearly top of line, reliable and everything else you could want in a computer. I imagine it will be a piece by piece project but I'm willing to go the distance. There was a few things I had in mind that I wanted but nothing too specific really?

2gig Ram
512mb (I was looking at the Nvidia Geforce 7800gtx 512mb that was announced but not released just yet)
AMD Athlon processor awesome motherboard too
I would like to get the XP64 as well

I mean, thats not a whole lot to go off of but if someone was willing to pup up a few suggestions I would GREATLY appreciate the help and you tolerating the probably over reoccuring question... though like I was saying, I can't think of anyone better to talk to?

Basically I'm looking for everything

Case
Powersupply
Motherboard
Processor
Video Card
Ram
Harddrive(s)
CD/DVD Roms
Ethnetnet Card

Just you know, a full blown Tower!

I was not really interested in a dualproc Mother Board, I wasn't real impressed with them to be honest...

Though again, if someone was able to list off some parts, and maybe how much I might have to invest for something really awesome, that would be amazing.

Thanks
Stephen

Ah sorry, it's so hard to pick a budget, I guess I can't act like I'm a millionaire but I was approaching it from a piece by piece project... the most I could do was just kinda state of things that I think would like, or what I thought was good, which really may not be so I was hoping someone would set me straight, but just things like

2gig ram
512mb card, when I gave the Nvidia GeForce 7800gtx for example, on that level'
I would like the Athlon 64
wanted to use the XP64 OS unless it has major downfalls...

Case etc
Great Proc
Great GPU
Great Ram
PSU
Etc?

I'm trying to think of a budget, but I guess I could say 2.5-3k Perhaps? and I'd be able to go off that...

I wish I had that much to spend.......... I only have about half that :(. If i had that i would go with a FX57 or 4800 Dual core and like you said the 7800GTX 512. I would also go with some good OZC or G.Skill RAM. Get like a DFI Ultra-D or something. Get a kickass case like a Thermaltake Armor or something and a PC P&C Power supply. For the Hard drive it depends on how much space you need but get a western digital or a seagate (A pair of 74 gig raptors is what i would get ;) ).

someone can correct me if im wrong... but if your not rich, then its not worth it at all to get all top of the line parts.

that would be like driving a high end BMW or Mercedes.. or just a SUV nowa days. its even pointless for rich peaple, but thy can afford it so.

you can *Probably get a... A64 duel core, 2GB ram, 7800GT, 74G WD Raptor, 600watt psu, etc.... for $1500 or less.

harobikes333 said:
O:D ok thanks for the reply:) It really helps

Do you plan on OCing?<--(over clocking)

Ah maybe soon or a later... I mean basically I just want it to run games you know, all the high end performance neccessity kinda things... I haven't really learned about over clocking just yet, but I've heard all about it... haven't done it personally obviously

Vybuni said:
I wish I had that much to spend.......... I only have about half that :(. If i had that i would go with a FX57 or 4800 Dual core and like you said the 7800GTX 512. I would also go with some good OZC or G.Skill RAM. Get like a DFI Ultra-D or something. Get a kickass case like a Thermaltake Armor or something and a PC P&C Power supply. For the Hard drive it depends on how much space you need but get a western digital or a seagate (A pair of 74 gig raptors is what i would get ;) ).

Ah thanks a lot, yeah I've gone all of my life without money pretty much but loving computers, though I never had enough to really build or buy what I would have liked! It's a huge hobby, and I'm in a position finally where I can get something nice, so why dodder around? Might as well get something really nice if at all possible... thanks for your suggestions!

jolancer said:
someone can correct me if im wrong... but if your not rich, then its not worth it at all to get all top of the line parts.

that would be like driving a high end BMW or Mercedes.. or just a SUV nowa days. its even pointless for rich peaple, but thy can afford it so.

you can *Probably get a... A64 duel core, 2GB ram, 7800GT, 74G WD Raptor, 600watt psu, etc.... for $1500 or less.

I can see where you are coming from but keep in mind they wanted me to throw a budget out there. I wasn't REAL too for sure what awesome hardware was going for these days. Some people out there say it's rediculous to get some of the better hardware because you won't even use it yet with the technologies today... Though computers become obsolete, hopefully if I make a decent one, it will keep up with the times fairly well and be in good condition. It's not even necessarily that I'm rich, more of a project deal... it's not like I can drop 3k in a second... over short periods of time buying individual pieces to lead up to something I will love...

But again, it was just a Budget, If I can achieve what I'd like to see for less then what I'd stated, then awesome ya know?

Thanks a lot for your help

Case - (Your preferance, but here are some good ones..)
Thermaltake Armor
Armor Link
or Cooler Master Cavalier
Cavalier Link

Power Supply - Don't cheap out on this, maybe get a better one, I don't know Power supply's all that well.
Fortron Source 550W
Fortron Link

Processor - I've listed two, don't know what you're interested in.
AMD X2 4800 Toledo
AMD 4800 Link
AMD FX55
FX55 Link

Motherboard - Do you plan on SLI? If so..
DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI
DFI Lanparty Link

Video Card - You plan on getting the 7800GTX 512Mb right?
So I'll leave this blank.

Hard Drive - Here's the deal, capacity or rpm?
If rpm, Western Digital Raptor 74G x2
Raptor Link
If capacity, Seagate 500Gb, 16mb cache
Seagate 500Mb Link

Optical Drives - Yeah I don't know much about them, lol
DVD RW/CD RW, etc. Pioneer
Pioneer Link
DVD-ROM Asus
Asus Link

Memory -Depends on your intentions (OC, etc.)
2Gb OCZ RAM (2 x 1Gb)
OCZ 2Gb

Cooling/Heatsink
Zalman 120mm Copper
Zalman Link

Sound Card
SoundBlaster X-Fi
X-Fi Link
or
Audigy2 Gamer Ed.
Audigy2 Link

Do you need..
Keyboard?
Mouse?
Monitor?
Speakers?
Lights (Neon, cathode, etc.)
Fans, cables, etc.?

If so, I'll be happy to list some for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom