plz HELP! a noob to build new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xardas

Solid State Member
:mad: i'm begining to feel that my pc's getting old...but when i saw the prices for good new computers i decided to build my own.
i'm trying to build a gaming pc that would last few years, unfortunately i dont have a very good knowledge about hardware

i was thinking about buying AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4800 dualcore(thats 2* 2.4GHZ right?) but intel procesors seem to be much faster!? ... i'm not sure what to buy or if i really NEED a fast CPU for gaming, what hardware would you recommend if i want games to be smooth, i'm willing to invest but i dunno if its worth it since computers get outdated so fast.... PLZ HELP

Yes, intel processors have higher clockspeeds in general, but that doesn't mean they're faster than AMD's due to the different architectures. A 3000+ Venice (which is clocked at 1.8 GHz) is the same speed as a 3000 MHz (3 GHz) Pentium. As far as dual cores, you'd have to ask someone else.

I'd be willing to help. Whats your budget? Since you're considering a X2 4800+ (~$750) I'm guessing its kinda high?

well i was thinking about spending about $1500... i could always buy one part one at a time if they get too expensive,but all that matters to me is smooth gaming experience. like a year ago i bought cheap PC but it's aging FAST... and now i would have to buy a new mother board to use PCI express graphics cards.
i dont want to make the same mistake again

Ok, well, I need some more info first. For one, a couple of years is a LONG time. Even a top-of-the-line PC right now would be low-mid range in little over 2 years. I suggest building a PC that can atleast max out today's games.

In a gaming PC, the videocard is perhaps most important. A $150 Athlon 64 3200+ processor will perform fine in a system with a $470 GeForce 7800GTX videocard.

For your concerns about Dual Core, check out my reply in this thread.

Last question before I start designing your PC; Do you still want Dual Core or Single Core (my recommendation)? Also, do you know what overclocking is? And this is supposed to be a gaming PC right?

i guess you are right... no pc lasts a long time, perharps i should just buy a good motherboard , and buy cheaper processor like u mentioned Athlon 64 3200+ and latest graphics card
could you help me pick a good mother board

would you buy SLI motherboard?

and yes this is a gaming pc

I know Flankers helping out on this one but I figured id put in my 2cents.

An Athlong 64 3200 is a very good cpu, its what I used to have. But a dual core wouldnt be a bad idea if you want to "future proof" your PC. Ive been hearing things about comeing games that will take advantage of dual cores.

And you could go for an SLI mobo and get like two 6600 and so on, but I wouldnt recomend it. You see a 30%-50% gain yes, but thats a horrible cost/performance ratio, which you may of read by now.

You could do what I did and buy a SLI mobo since you can find them as the same price a non SLI, incase you decided to add one later when theyre cheaper.

I also highly suggest getting a good matched pair of memeory, like OCZ whom i am a fan of.

No, I would not SLI, no point. As you will see; there is a single 7800GT in this system.

Motherboard; DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D - $155.

Processor; AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego - $233.

Memory; 2 x 1GB OCZ EL Platinum Rev. 2 DDR400 - $334 if you buy 2 of them.

Video Card; eVGA GeForce 7800GT - $325 <-- AMAZING price.

Hard Drive; 250GB Seagate Barracuda SATA150 HDD - $106.

Case; Thermaltake Tsunami - $115.

CD/DVD Drives; Toshiba CD/DVD Burner - $36.

Floppy Drive (trust me, you'll need it); Samsung Floppy Drive - $7.25.

Power Supply; Antec Smartpower 500W PSU - $69.

If my calculator is correct, that comes out to $1380 total. Shipping and Handling and Tax will probably take it close to $1500.

I believe I covered everything. Let me know what you think about it. That system will max out games.

TheOtis said:
An Athlong 64 3200 is a very good cpu, its what I used to have. But a dual core wouldnt be a bad idea if you want to "future proof" your PC. Ive been hearing things about comeing games that will take advantage of dual cores.

Look at the thread I linked earlier. Dual Cores apparently aeren't all they're bring made out to be.

TheOtis said:
And you could go for an SLI mobo and get like two 6600 and so on, but I wouldnt recomend it. You see a 30%-50% gain yes, but thats a horrible cost/performance ratio, which you may of read by now.

Agreed.

TheOtis said:
You could do what I did and buy a SLI mobo since you can find them as the same price a non SLI, incase you decided to add one later when theyre cheaper.

Yea, but the SLI-DR is $190 while the Ultra-D is $115 right now. The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI is out of stock, lol. That puts out the two most reliable motherboards.

TheOtis said:
I also highly suggest getting a good matched pair of memeory, like OCZ whom i am a fan of.

Agreed also.

wow u got a kickass PC, how much did it cost you to build all that? you didnt mention what power supply box you use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom