ATI, finally got NVIDIA on the Ropes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
apokalipse said:
the ATI cards are better in Direct3D (like 3dmark05)
the Nvidia cards are better in OpenGL (like Doom 3)

I HATE HATE HATE when people say this because its so not true at all. Nvidia is better in OpenGL always and sometimes in Direct3D. The only Direct3D where ATI wins is 3dMark05 and the Source engine. F.E.A.R. makes the most heavy use of DX9 yet today, and it runs like sh*t on ATI cards. In fact, it runs like sh*t on both cards but it runs much worse on ATI. The matter of the fact is that games like this are so demanding that you need 2 7800GTXs in SLI to play them maxed out.

I can think of countless games when Nvidia beats ATI in Direct3d. Not only that, when ATI does beat Nvidia in Direct3d, its always by a pretty small margin (except in FEAR). Its not the same in OpenGL. I believe the difference is a little closer when comparing the 7800GTX and X1800XT, but last generation with the 6800GT vs. X800, the 6800GT was over 75% faster in OpenGL games than the X800. Just plain pitiful.

Like I said -- you don't know what you're talking about. The X1800XT is on par with the 256MB 7800GTX, and manages to beat it by a few FPS in several games, while both cards are at stock speeds. I bet whenever you look at benchmarks comparing the two cards you go straight to the doom 3 benchmark. You have to accept the truth. BOTH CARDS ARE EQUAL. This will not be the case when the 512mb 7800GTX comes out, but right now, the two cards are ON PAR.
I do know what im talking about. I dont go to benchmarks because they are ATI biased, not just Toms hardware, but all of them now. Also, i dont really play Doom3 so i wouldnt go to that benchmark, i go to the HL2 and FEAR benchies. THose are the games i play.
We're talking real world preformance here. Try playing fear on the GTX at 1280x1024 with everything on maximum, with 4x aa and 16x high quality af. The PC will choke. Don't use the source engine as an example, thats already several years old. Try todays games.
Get your words right, the PC wont choke the video card will. ALso, put it on a 4800+ X2 and it will pwn.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but when does the 512mb 7800GTX come out? Hopefully it will make the mid-range cards drop quite a bit...

notquitedead said:
Sorry if this has already been asked, but when does the 512mb 7800GTX come out? Hopefully it will make the mid-range cards drop quite a bit...

How about dooing a search for this information instead of hijacking this thread.

I could read through 7 pages of arguing and posting dumb pictures, or I could just ask. Googling wouldn't help much; I've seen multiple pages that say it will be a different price so why would the case be any different for when it's coming out?

By telling me not to hijack the thread, you've taken it off track even more...:rolleyes:

P.P. Mguire said:
I do know what im talking about. I dont go to benchmarks because they are ATI biased, not just Toms hardware, but all of them now.
Are you an idiot? That is such a fanboy statement it's not even funny. If you have never looked at any benchmarks, and you have never owned an X1800XT, then tell me now, how you know it sucks compared to the 256mb 7800GTX?
beedubaya said:
F.E.A.R. makes the most heavy use of DX9 yet today, and it runs like sh*t on ATI cards. In fact, it runs like sh*t on both cards but it runs much worse on ATI.
I don't know if you purposely ignored me last time I said this or if you just didn't see it, but I'll say it again. On ATI cards, if you rename the fear executable to anything other than fear.exe, you will see a huge preformance boost. I don't know why or how this works, but it just does.

beedubaya do you know about ATI latest drivers? It does wonders for ATI in openGL (Doom Quake). ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom