X1800XT 512MB vs 7800GTX 256MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprooty

Daemon Poster
Hello,

Just so u guys know i did search the forums befor i posted this, so dont flame me.

I am upgrading my PC soon and i currently have the choice between the X1800XT 512mb and the 7800GTX 256mb.

The 7800GTX 512mb is way over priced and out of my price range, so please dont suggest it.

I know the X1800XT 512mb gets a better score in 3D mark than the 7800GTX 256mb, but what is actually the better card?

Nvidia have better drivers, and the drivers also support Dual Core CPUs and this is good for me because i am getting an X2 3800+

But the X1800XT 512 still gets a high score.

What do you guys think?

Definately go for the Nvidia. Yes, ATI does better in 3dmark05, but dispite what ATI fans will tell you, 3dMark05 isn't everything. Nvidia also does have much, much better drivers. ATI's Catalyst drivers will leave you banging your head against your desk...they are THAT bad. Plus, you can barely play new games on ATI cards when they come out until the drivers are optimized, which usually takes a couple of months. There is no reason I see to go ATI, get Nvidia all the way!

Nvidia have better drivers, and the drivers also support Dual Core CPUs and this is good for me because i am getting an X2 3800+
it should be primarily up to the games and whether or not they have been made multithreaded that'd determine whether or not you'd get any benefits from a dual CPU.

are you in a hurry to make a purchase or what? If not I'd wait a while and see how ATI progresses....I am a fan of nvidia, don't get me wrong, but theres no harm in waiting maybe a month or so to see if there are any improvements in drivers or things like that. Also the market will be more flooded with more people owning them so you will be able to get more information on them.

I say this primarily because I wasn't really that impressed with the 7800 series cards honestly...yes I realize they kick ass and are above the 6xxx obviously, but it just seemed like it wasn't a big enough of a gap.

I say this primarily because I wasn't really that impressed with the 7800 series cards honestly...yes I realize they kick ass and are above the 6xxx obviously, but it just seemed like it wasn't a big enough of a gap.
Agreed, video cards should still be trying to follow Moores law and this time around it looks like they're starting to accomplish it much more yet again with this fuggin SLI crap rather than producing a single faster core...especially at the current rate games are advancing it isn't practical to slow down GPU development

Both cards will give you about the same preformance, actually the 3dmark score by ati is not very accurate, because it still gets the same fps in games as nvidia give or take. But 512mb of 1.5GHz ram at $549 is a really good deal IMO, and the X1800XT will overclock very well on stock cooling. Also it supports AVIVO and it dosn't have quality problems with it's AF. Also, it has hardware decode of h.264 high def dvd.

One thing I have to say against Nvidia is that its rediculous that they are EXPECTING you to buy 2 cards and SLI these days. They need to realize a lot of people have trouble affording just one of these cards let alone two of them. SLI should be icing on the cake, not something that is demanded, like it is to max out games like FEAR, and will be just to run UT2007 decently.

003, you seem really bothered by that AF shimmering in the Source engine. Honestly, I barely noticed it when I had my 6800GT, and the only game I saw it in was CSS. Its not worth making that big of deal out of.

I wont be ordering my parts to early next month, its just what card i get affects my budget and what else i can and can't get. I would like to wait, because atm the only company making the X1800s is Gecube, im still waiting for sapphier,gigabye(do they do ati?), powercolour... all the other brands. I am actually really suprised that GeCube has been the only one to release these card so far, i thought the other companies would jump on the opportunity to produce a next gen card.

I have had a 9800Pro since they came out, and i have never really experianced driver problems, especially new games. But i guess i would'nt really know because i've never really tried Nvidia exept for my old MMX 440. I would love to give Nvidia a try but im a little hesitant, i want this card to be as future proof as possible and i think 256mb ram will be come the min for new games and i would like to have 512mb.

003 how do u have a SATA optical drive? i have never seen one.

003 how do u have a SATA optical drive? i have never seen one
go look it up at newegg....a SATA CD/DVD burner drive is like $130 or so....not worth it IMO (on that particular drive I'm talking about)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom