Going wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
I was wondering if someone can help me.

I own a Dell Dimension 3000 and currently use Verizon DSL to access the internet. I just purchased this computer a few months ago.

It just occurred to me when talking to my roommate that I might be able to get internet access through WiFi. I live in Manhattan and I believe my area gets WiFi access, although because of the location of my desktop I am not sure if I can get access.

I am a techie novice, so I have questions:

Firstly, I don't think my computer has a wireless card installed, but how do I check that?

If not is it easy to install myself or will I need a technician to come out?

Is there any way to check before I buy/get installed a wireless card, if I will be able to receive the WiFi Signal or that I'm in the correct area? Where can I check or test this?

Currently, I have DSL access at a fast speed. How fast will the WiFI be?

I am a real novice when it comes to this part of the computer, so any information at all would be a big help. Thanks.

well if you have wired internet, there is no point of going wireless. because other people will most likely be on that network which will cause you to be slower. to check if your dell has a network wireless card, just look in the back of the computer and if you see an antenna you have a wireless card. its not hard to install it at all, you just open your case and slide the card into the PCI port of your motherboard.

Thanks for reply.

Some questions: Does anyone know if Dell Dimension 3000 is expandable? Do I have a port for a wireless card?

The reason I would go wireless is because it would be free. I think I would just get a signal. I currently pay over $30.00 a month for DSL.

Is there a way to know before installing if I WOULD get the signal? Any website that would tell me? Or a way to test? Again, I'm clueless about this aspect of computer technology, so any info. would be helpful.

yeah there is definatly a PCI port in your dell which will allow you to install a wireless card. just google wifi areas on manhatten.

bagelred said:
Thanks for reply.

Some questions: Does anyone know if Dell Dimension 3000 is expandable? Do I have a port for a wireless card?

The reason I would go wireless is because it would be free. I think I would just get a signal. I currently pay over $30.00 a month for DSL.

Is there a way to know before installing if I WOULD get the signal? Any website that would tell me? Or a way to test? Again, I'm clueless about this aspect of computer technology, so any info. would be helpful.

Their's 2 kinds of wireless.

#1: Your wireless internet services which DO require you to pay a monthly fee.

#2: Your unsecured Wireless Access Points. Highly illegal to use these without permission, and your infomation is not secure. People even set these up on purpose so they can hack your computer (their network, their money, so it's legal for them basicly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom