ATI, finally got NVIDIA on the Ropes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, you're such a hypocrite. When it was said that the 512MB 7800GTX (7800Ultra) was going to have a 800MHz core you said, and I quote;

Look, I don't care what any of these articles say, there is not going to be an 800mhz GTX. I think you also know deep down that 800mhz is just ridiculous. And if it turns out to be true, then I will admit to being an idiot.

Well, it didn't turn out to be true for the 7800Ultra, but when the prospect of an ATi card come out you said, and I quote again;

Are you serious?!?!!?

800MHz on the R520 is much more realistic because it is a 90nm 16 pipe card, not to mention several people on XS have overclocked the core over 1GHz. It is not very realistic on a 24 pipe card, that would just be way to much stress, voltage and heat, not to mention it is 110nm.

these are all facts:
3Dmark05 prefers ATI cards.
the 256MB 7800 GTX and 512MB X1800 XT are on par.
the 512MB 7800 GTX will be a better card
sapphire has cancelled the liquid metal cooling system
ATI is not winning this round.

ATI may or may not win the next round, although I hope they do, because competition is good.

why don't people just stop saying one card "sucks" just because another one is better?
and why do people ignore all the good facts about one card if they like another card?
seriously, the X1800 XT is a good card, thbe 256MB and 512MB 7800 GTX's are good cards. the 512MB 7800 GTX will be the best card out of them, but that still doesn't mean ATI sucks.

Thats my question. Just because one is better than the other dosent mean the other is bad. If somebody gave me either of them free or for 100$ i would gladly brag and show it off.

One thing that better about this generation is you are getting a good card whether you get a 7800 series or an X1800. Its not like the last two generations when one company produced a kick-arse card and the other company had nothing but a total ripoff.

This has to be the best line of arguement i've seen yet. they are both good, H yeah. Just make your choice and kick some serious A**!!! :)

P.P. Mguire said:
Besides idc who you are 24 pipes will beat out 16 anyday.
I don't know if you've looked at the benchmarks or not, but that is a false statement. The X1800XT preforms on par with the 256MB 7800GTX and even slightly out preforms it by a few frames in some games. Now of course the 512mb 7800GTX is going to rape the X1800XT, it was a dirty move on nvidias part, but hey, it worked. But lets not forget that the card will have an MSRP of $800, and the X1800XT had an MSRP of $549, and yet it is still $600 on newegg and monarch, so we can expect it to be slightly more than $800, especially for the ones that come pre overclocked. I also don't think that saphire is just going to cancel the OC'd R520 all together just because they can't use liquid metal cooling, I think we can expect to see them release an X1800XT with a massive two slot cooler like the 512mb 7800gtx, and while I doubt they will hit 800mhz on air, I can pretty much guarantee it will be faster than 625mhz -- although I don't think it will be enough to top the 512mb 7800gtx. Also, lets not forget that the 800mhz clock speed and liquid metal cooling were not the only things the saphire card had going -- it also had 2000MHz GDDR4 memory, which they can still use with or without liquid metal. The 512MB 7800GTX on the other hand will not be able to use GDDR4 memory because the memory controller does not support it, but the R520 does. I wouldn't give up all hope for ATI just yet.

DDR1, 2, 3, 4. It dosent actualy use the speed so it dosent really matter that much. Its like the difference between DC and single, not much at all. Also, the X1800XT was still OCd to beat out the STOCK GTX non 512.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom