Can't Install Operating System

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Maybe I should try a new cd drive."

yea, thats probably it...

how far in the install do you get?

1. it says to set up windows press enter

2. then f8 to agree to the uela

3. after that is asks which partition to use (I suggest deleting the previous partition)

4. then it will format(do a quick ntfs format)

5. when it's done formating... it will begin copying files for the setup(before it restarts and loads the colorful setup screen)

6. after that, the colorful blue screen will come up, and the setup will continue

I have had similar problems as you are haveing on step 5
(sorry if I left out any steps)

what I did, was put the hard drive into another computer, Installed windows on it, then put it back into the first computer, and did a repair to make all the drivers work

explained in this thread:
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=77616

there is most likely an easier way, but I can't think of it...

if you have problems in step 6, I'd say it's the cd

Juice Daddy said:
"Maybe I should try a new cd drive."

yea, thats probably it...

how far in the install do you get?

1. it says to set up windows press enter

2. then f8 to agree to the uela

3. after that is asks which partition to use (I suggest deleting the previous partition)

4. then it will format(do a quick ntfs format)

5. when it's done formating... it will begin copying files for the setup(before it restarts and loads the colorful setup screen)

6. after that, the colorful blue screen will come up, and the setup

will continue

I have had similar problems as you are haveing on step 5
(sorry if I left out any steps)

what I did, was put the hard drive into another computer, Installed windows on it, then put it back into the first computer, and did a repair to make all the drivers work

explained in this thread:
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=77616

there is most likely an easier way, but I can't think of it...

if you have problems in step 6, I'd say it's the cd

As far as I have got with the setup is when it says installing windows. It tells me it has 39 minutes left, then after about 1hour and 30 minutes it gives me an error message. Here is exactly what the message says:

"An error has been encounterd that prevents setup from continuing"

Then it says.

"Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should cantain more information. error setup had problems registering the following OLE control dll: C:windows/system32/initpki.dll"

Maybe this will shine some light on what happend?
thanks for all your replys. I will try a new cd drive if I still can not figure it out.

yea.. unless the hard drive or ram are preventing the file from being written properly, I'd assume it's the cd drive

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom