Backup to CD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suppose u could use winrar to compress each 1gb to 700mb or whatever.....but other than that dunno really. Why do u need to backup one whole hdd? theres no point in copyin prog files/windows etc? unless u use norton ghost... But then u need a new hdd really

Its still the best thing to backup your file on a CD plus i dont have enough room for my new HDD since i only use IDE type of HDD and not a SCSI. anyway, the entire disk doent have any OS on it but all my files and precious documents. hope you got my point why i want to copy it on a CD. Thanks.

hey whiteknight! thank you so much for giving me that link. It will surely help me alot.
more power!

We use a program at work called Norton Ghost and it does exactly what you are describing. Basically you launch the GHOST console and select something like CLONE drive to CD's. What this does is allows you to make an exact clone of your hard drive over as many CDR's as it takes.

What you then do is create a norton ghost boot disk and boot from the floppy. Once you are booted from the floppy you can then load the CD's onto the new HD. It will have an option restore from CD or something along those lines. It will begin to merge the data then it will say please insert disk2, please insert disk3 and so on and so on untill all the disks have been copied over.

Press_F1 said:
more or less 500MB. dont know the exact figures. this is the minimum requirements.

Actually I still have the Win95 setup disc, and the system requrements have you 100 MB minimum HDD space.

sunsider said:
the program was diskdupe™ to copy over to floppy's .. allowed floppys to hold more than the allocated space .. i dont think it applies to cd's though ..
actually you could overburn CD's to about 750MB approximately

Press_F1 said:
backup my 40GB file to CD? if I have a 700MB CD, do i need at least 8 CDs to backup my entire file?

backup 40GB to 8 CD's? your math is horribly wrong. you would need about 58 CD's to back that up on 700MB media. what you want to do is better accomplished by using another hard drive as you backup media. also nero has backitup feature:

Nero BackItUp is a program for backing up and restoring data which is easy to use, convenient and powerful. Sensitive and other important data, in particular, should be stored on more than one medium so that it is always available when required. There are any number of situations where the lack of a backup causes trouble and wastes time and money. These include formatting a hard disk, a faulty hard disk, theft, fire or simply deleting data by mistake.

With Nero BackItUp you can back up your data, restore the backed up data and set up jobs to run automatically. One medium in particular (CD or DVD) offers a safe and cost-effective backup solution, and Nero BackItUp makes burning backup CDs child's play.

With Nero BackItUp you can burn both CDs and DVDs. For this reason, we use the generic term 'medium' in this manual. You can burn CDs both with a CD recorder and a DVD recorder. The result depends on the medium you use. With a CD recorder you can only burn CDs and not DVDs.

backup 40GB to 8 CD's? your math is horribly wrong. you would need about 58 CD's to back that up on 700MB media. what you want to do is better accomplished by using another hard drive as you backup media. also nero has backitup feature:
:p yah I admit, I have ahorrible experience with math but thanks god i graduated with an engineering degree. what a shame. :)
anyway, thanks for the correction. i just eneded up with simpl multiplication without double checking the given figures... 700MB x 8 = 5600 so thats 5GB of files.:D that zeros again :mad:
ill be careful next time chief.

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom