Status
Not open for further replies.

new.puree

In Runtime
ok i have 2 sticks of 512 ram. one was recently added
pc3200 corsair value ram
pc2300 kingston value from four years back

Can anyone explain what dual channeling does and how I could dual channel
Im pretty noob at this stuff so detailed explanations plz!
tys for the help

"pc3200 corsair value ram
pc2300 kingston value from four years back"

Those 2 sticks will not run in dual channel because they are different. You need 2 sticks of the same ram and a motherboard that supports dual channel.

They may run in dual channel.

You need 2 sticks of the same size and speed ie your 2 sticks of 512mb pc3200. They don't have to be from the manufacturer but they need to be similar in timings for complete stabilty.
This is why it is better to get 2 sticks of identical RAM but not essential!

I'm betting your RAM will run in dual channel mode:)

BUT ONLY on certain Intel motherboards and AMD socket 939 boards so if you have a socket A board (and XP CPU) or socket 754 you won't be able to run it anyway as dual channel is controlled by the Athlon 939 CPU.

Basically it's a faster way to read/write to RAM and will see you maybe a 5-10% boost in gaming for example.

Silver Shamrock said:
BUT ONLY on certain Intel motherboards and AMD socket 939 boards so if you have a socket A board (and XP CPU) or socket 754 you won't be able to run it anyway as dual channel is controlled by the Athlon 939 CPU.

socket A does. my buddies runnin a XP 2500+ and he has dual.

little something to support me
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1043672&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

socket 754 however...nope...as for i have one and can't.

pc3200 corsair value ram
pc2300 kingston value from four years back

One is PC3200 and one is PC2300, so they are not the same speed and won't run in dual channel. (right?)

Socket A can and does support dual channel memory.

The reason why Socket A can but not socket 754 is that in socket A the Motherboard handles the memory. In Socktet 754 the CPU handles the memory.

However in Socket A the CPU doesnt have enough FSB bandwidth to really take advantage of dual channel

Yeah ok ok, so socket A can be run in dual channel. BUT Athlon XP CPU's can only utilise less than 50% of dual channel.

So as DJ Chris says, it cannot take advantage so IMO is just not worth mentioning. If you want dual channel then get 939 like i said. Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom