Anyone collect CPUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmanbc

Solid State Member
I collect computer chips and I am looking to find some trading partners. I generally only collect Intel but most collectors collect just about anything. I am also looking for most any Intel computer chip from the 1970s as shown in the Intel Collector's Guide: http://www.vintagemicrochips.com/

I hope to hear from some of you.

Thanks

Lee

If I was only born back then, seems pretty intresting. My mom used to work for a computer company that had all thsoe stuff, but I was Six back then and didn't know that they were good stuff. Anyways the oldest CPU i have is an old Celeron, but I'm not sure thats considered something good.

Static_11 said:
out of curiosity, whats the oldest one you have?

That is a good question. Most people don't know this but the first CPU in mass production was the Intel C4004 made for the Busicom Calculator back in the early 1970s. I own 20 C4004s but they are all dated around 1975 or not dated at all. My oldest chips are my RAM and ROM chips. The Intel 1101 and 1301 were both introduced in the 1969 and were manufactured in the very early 1970s. I have a website that I am redoing right now that used to show them off. The only other site that is comparable to what I have is this one: http://www.cpu-zone.com/ This is a really nice site with an excellent display of Intels first chips.

Lee

Sprooty said:
what Mhz are thses chips rated at?

Uhm... The C4004 was a 4 bit processor operating at about .5 MHz. A little slow but you can't beat the price. In the last year I have seen probably 10 or 15 of these sell on Ebay and none have went for less than $300 and a couple have went for over $1000. A Grey one in mint condition will easily bring $1000.

Lee

Makes no sense but okay!!!!

I have an Intel Pentium (says Malay on it), and an Intel overDRIVE. I also have a bunch of what appears to be some sort of RAM.

lazerman said:
Makes no sense but okay!!!!

I have an Intel Pentium (says Malay on it), and an Intel overDRIVE. I also have a bunch of what appears to be some sort of RAM.

It makes more since than collecting stamps and the Smithsonian agrees as they have already put a C4004 on display.

If you have RAM that is Intel, white with Gold leads then it is probably worth some money.

Generally speaking if you have a chip that was made in the 1970s, made by Intel and white or purple then it is probably worth some money.

Here is an example of a C4004 from Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Intel-C400...oryZ1247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Most of you probably don't have the old chips but you may have something like this:
DSCF1730.JPG

The "ES" stands for Engineer Sample and these are very hard to find. Intel also made Customer Samples with the letters "CS"

Intel still today makes ES and CS chips so if you ever run into one you should hold onto it or sell it to me ;)

Lee

Ha, I like that stuff.
Unfortunately, i don't have anything from 70-ies.
I have:
80086 8mhz (w/o math coprocessor)
80286 20mhz (not sure)
80386 33mhz
80486 25mhz
80486dx4 100mhz
Pentium1- 75mhz
Pentium1- 100mhz
Pentium1- 133mhz
Pentium1 166mhz (mmx)
Many celerons and pentium II's and couple of PIII's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom