Computer crashes while playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hicksy

Solid State Member
Hi

Whenever i try to play games my computer will just crash (the screen goes black etc.)

It will crash after about 3 or 4 minutes playing.

All of the games it crashes in used to work on this computer.

Everything else works on the computer, games are the only problem

My computer has:

Radeon 9600XT
512 MB Ram
AMD Athlon XP Processor 2600+
2.13 GHz

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

does it restart or go completely responsive or can you get response by pressing CRTL-ALT-DEL or Windows Key?

90% of the time it goes completely unresponsive but the last time i tried it restarted. and ctrl alt delete doesnt do anything

Also, you might want to check out your main power supply...maybe swap one out with a friend's or something. I'd make sure there is no dust inside your case as well, especially around the processor and heatsink/fan area. I have a P4 Prescott and when I play games the built-in "zone temperature" program that comes with my intel mobo often kicks me out because the thing is heating up like crazy...but then again it's a prescott and I'm surprised it hasn't burnt my house down yet.

i would stick another 512MB in there. i have that same processor and it runs fine. btw which games are you trying to run? and check your catylist settings and check the performance levels.

the games im trying to play are

NBA Live 06
Medal of Honor Allied Assault
V8 Supercars 2

all of which used to work

before the problem happened i need a new power suply put in the comp because the other one packed up.... could my new one be faulty?

i tried playing it while i had the thing up that tells me the temperature of my video card..... and about 2 minutes before it crashed it spiked to 80 C ..... which im guessing is counted as overheating lol.

Anyone know how i could fix this?

but there isnt any space for more fans in my case

Check to make sure the fan is spinning on the video card, and that it isnt making any weird noises. If you have your video card with a pci card directly in the sloe beneath it then move the pci card down a slot or two if you can (better airflow). You definitely are overheating your video card.

seing as my case cant fit any more fans would it help if i put a portable fan facing the inside of the computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom