corrupt boot + master boot sectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalipse

Golden Master
just this morning my computer wouldn't boot, it would get to the XP startup screen and then for about 1/10 of a second it would show the 'blue screen of death' and I saw some hexadecimal values. I put in the XP CD and went to the recovery console, I didn't know how to work it before because I never used it but I figured out what the commands do with Help, I rebuilt the boot and master boot sectors and now it boots fine.
what could have corrupted the boot and master boot sectors?
- and I know I didn't have any viruses

whats the message on that blue screen?
How many HDD are you using? Do you have a multi-boot system before?
changing you MBS is a very risky procedure.. so better cheak these question first before you do some changes.
were happy that your PC work just fine now.

success!

I have 1 hard drive in 1 partition (NTFS), and XP home in 2 installations.
I did a chkdsk in the recovery console and it told me there were a few errors it fixed, and that the boot + master boot sectors were corrupt and needed repairing. since I could not use it without rebuilding them, I felt it was my only option.
apparently there was a bit of a power line problem in our area, could this mean there wasn't enough power, and the computer misprocessing the boot and master boot sectors?

and I had to change my boot.ini afterwards to this:

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\BACKUP="Backup Windows XP"

I had a similar problem, I just ended up backing up some files from safe mode and reformatting (i was gonna do it soon anyway) What happened with me though was that I went to log on the blue screen came up and then it restarted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom