Slow BIOS POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

silence782

In Runtime
I'm working on an AMD XP system running @ 1900MHz. each time the computer posts, it takes several minutes for the POST to complete. And once it does, there a steady beep sound.

The system has 256 megs of DDR running at 2100 I think.
before I ran into the post problem, the system was running very sluggishly, but there were no memory errors or the like.

Sounds like something is failing. Have you tried a different stick of mem or move it into a different slot. Also to speed up your POST you can tell it to do a quick boot, on the IDEs that you have nothing connected set it to none and on the ones with cd-roms/burners set it to cd-rom.

Looking up AmiBIOS post beeps, no steady beep is in the list. Also, I've tried switching RAM slots with no luck.

The board is one of those with both SD and DDR slots. All I had to use as a spare was a stick of SD, which got me nothing. No POST, no BIOS, nothing. But when I did manage to get into the BIOS on the stick of DDR, (After like 5 minutes) I saw that one of the voltages on the power supply was like 12.7 volts. I know it's not much of a varience, but is it too much of one?

The only thing I'm waiting for now, is for my friend to let me use one of his extra sticks of RAM to test with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom