Heat risk involved in AMD Athlon XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
Is there any risk that a Barton 2500+ processor will fry if the computer is on for like 5 hours? -> using a processor cooling fan with heatsink

None really, as long as the heatsink/fan doesn't fall off while in operation (which can occur if not secure, and not all motherboards' overheating protection features are actually effective), and as long as it doesn't near or exceed the maximum operating temperature (85ºC).

Martin which boards that ya know of flake out on the Overheating shutdown Protection? Hopefully not Asus or Abit:confused:

I know for certain that the mechanism fails on many Gigabyte boards (though I'm pretty sure a BIOS flash may fix it), and I have not yet tested this phenomenon on any ASUS or ABIT boards (nor would I bother to, unless I had the extra $), but Soltek's protection mechanism seems to work, though it may not react quickly enough to prevent any speck of damage to the processor.

All I can say is that such protection features are ambivalent, and that I recommend keeping the processor cool no matter what, and that you keep the finger on the PSU shutoff switch whenever desired. ;)

Reviving this old thread just to share my experience. I built my first system with an Atlon 2400+ on a Gigabyte motherboard. It was actually the first time ever I install a heatsink over a cpu and I put it the wrong way. Bad idea. When booting for the first time, I went in the BiOS to check system health and make sure everything is fine. CPU temp was raising and raising but at this point, I didn't know what were the normal operating temps for a cpu so I just stayed there hoping it will stop raising, haha. According to the BiOS, temperature hit 110C and then the heat protection kicked in the system went off.

I removed the heatsink and saw that the cpu changed color a little bit. Put the heatsink right, booted again and everything is fine. Can't believe the cpu isn't dead. It's been more than a year now and that system is still running smooth.

Now, yes, I know a Gigabyte motherboard that really sucks when it's time to shut off at the right time.

.fs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom