Video related problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Threepwood

Daemon Poster
I've got a problem where sometimes when I switch resolutions my monitor flickers, makes clicky noises then loses signal. Them im forced to hard reboot the computer. I was wondering if this is probably a monitor or a computer issue. Personally I think its monitor related because my monitor is a 1994 piece or crap dell thats been making flicker noises whenever it changes res, and always has lots of image tearing in FPS games. Is there a way I can tell though? I tried pressing the power button after the display went but it didnt do the reboot because it was in a program (The power button reboot doesnt work in programs right?). Anyone have any suggestions, if its monitor related then ill be glad as im getting ready to trash this thing in a few weeks.

sounds like a vid card or monitor.... i say the vid card because i dont see why the monitor res. changes would cause comp failure.

Ok well Im still not sure what it is but it did it again when i was changing resolutions, the monitor stops reciving a signal and it completely locks up and I cant control alt del it. Unfortuanately this sounds like a video card, but if a monitor stops reciving signal will a computer lock up or no?

-Edit I tried changing the windows resolution like 40 times and it never locked up. Only does it when i unminimize warcraft 3 it seems, I havnt tried any other 3d programs. Ive also run 3dmark 03 and 05 a ton of times and its never frozen.

Alright more updates, I did some stuff to check if I could find/reproduce the error. I let 3dmark 03 run for a while, forcing it to change resolution each time a new test was run, no crash. I ran memtest all the way through with no errors. I loaded up a game that runs at a different resolution but was only in the chat channel (warcraft 3). And minimizied unminimized about 80 times and no crashes. Note that when I did this i had powerstrip turned off, is it possible that powerstrip (with no OCs on) can cause a crash when it tries to change resolution? The only other idea I came up with and this is one that scares me, theres some sort of error going on when it tries to hyper thread applications. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe ill turn powerstrip on and try to get it to crash again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom