Cooling a Radeon 9800 128 mb vid card

Status
Not open for further replies.

True_Orb

Daemon Poster
I've heard multiple times that these babies tend to overheat. What's the best/quietest cooler for this vid card? I need something effective but quiet.

If the card has active cooling you should be AOK. But if you buy that TYAN card I pointed out to you youll be even better. Massive heatsink and active cooling on that puppy.

But if it ever becomes an issue theres solutions. You can make a vid card intake fan on the side of your case, you can buy a cooling fan that fits in a PCI slot (tho they tend to be cheaply made) or you could TRY one of those massive aftermarket card cooling heatsinks.

But Ive really never heard of a 9800Pro overheating.... so long as your case has some airflow you should be golden.

Ok thanks guys. I suppose if my computer starts to get choppy and freeze when I game for long periods thats a sign I need better heatsink/fan on my vid card? (Considering I would be running a top-of-the-line processor and 1GB RAM).

Dude if your computer locks up or gets video artifacts on that system config I gave you, youve got much more serious problems than cooling.

Dont worry about it man. Its a completely smooth rig. So long as you have any decent amount of air going thru it itll be absolutely fine.

ill tell you what i did with one .Removed the puny fan thats on the heatsink pulled a fan out of those dual fan HD cooler kits.They run at like 4200 or 3800 RPM,Cant remeber exactly.Then i spliced in the wires to the original plug and found some screws that would hold the fan secure . Bolted it on and Fixed my overheat problem :) . Also did a 9700 pro as well

Forgot to mention i had no problems with overheating untill i played some extreme games or ran 3DMark it would lock up .
I used a Lazer gun to see just how hot the board was getting and ATI`s run hot . On 3dmark 01se it would lock up on the nature seen every time .But the fan solved the problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom