SATA Drive shown as Removable Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManuelJ

Solid State Member
You know that little tray icon that says "Safely Remove Hardware", well this thing pops up everytime windows starts and my HD is listed in there...as a removable device!! Is there anyway I can fix this?

well, i personally don't knwo how to get rid of that because i still use the IDE interface, BUUUUUUUT i know WHY its there.

SATA drives are 'hot-swappable' meaning that you can unplug and switch out drives while the computer is on. similar to a USB flash drive.

Sw1tCh[FX] said:
SATA drives are 'hot-swappable' meaning that you can unplug and switch out drives while the computer is on. similar to a USB flash drive.

Exactly, although I don't know what happens when you tell windows to remove its boot drive. I'm not curious enough to risk a reinstall of windows.

I don't think you can swap your boot drive unless you have mirrored RAID going on so that your boot drive will be copied exactly on another drive.

Nubius said:
I don't think you can swap your boot drive unless you have mirrored RAID going on so that your boot drive will be copied exactly on another drive.

Watch me hot swap boot drives :)

However the PC usually just freezes at it's current screen and does nothing at all.

I like the new motherboards that are coming out with a SATA connector on the Rear I/O plate. You can plug it internally to a spare SATA connecter on the motherboard, then easily connect an external SATA HDD to it.

That's pretty sweet. Load it up with MP3s... and have a 300gig mobile music library...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom