windows 3.11

Status
Not open for further replies.
internet wasnt even standard on operating systems until windows 98 came out, my school had to install internet explorer 5 from cd-rom on their old windows 95 computers :O

dos mode drivers for ethernet cards are hard to find, dos didnt have a tcp/ip stack, it was an add-on, but nowadays you can get one from one of the freeware dos OS sites like freedos

dunno who said it above, but dos and win3.1 were OS's, windows wasnt the first by any stretch of the imagination, windows didnt get away from running on top of dos till windows 2000 came out and they switched to a version of the NT kernel

Back in the Windows 3.1 days, websites didn't have all the flash, images, etc that they do now, so dialup was plenty for what was avaiable then. Also, file downloads were usually less than 1 MB...so they didn't really have a need for anything faster than 28.8K.

There is still a fair amount of people running Windows 3.1 in my area though and its a pain having to try to fix their computers. I learned the hard way to take a copy of 3.1 when going to repair somebody's PC because one time I took only a copy of Win98, and behold, my customer's computer was using Windows 3.1.

talldude123 said:
why would people still use windows 3.1? Are they that poor? :(

No, they are hicks, who don't think they need anything more. These are the types who keep their computers off for weeks and just turn it on every once in a while to check their email.

Amd2800 said:
no windows 95 has IE built in well m y copy does
That is because you had Win95b. perhaps I never had the "A" version myself so it may not have been included in that one.

as far as i can remember...

there was two types of windows 95:

windows 95, and windows 95 internet explorer edition.

i had the internet explorer edition, and my friend has the other edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom