Geek Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctm2k

Baseband Member
Hi im faced with a dilema. I just got offered a job at Best Buys geek squad. Now this may sound good but im wondering if this is really the way to go for me. I do want a entry level job but after going to the interview I discovered that mostly ill be doing is OS installs, Memory Upgrades, Spyware Removal. Also I have to upsell products like best buys home networking and other things. It seems the job is more sales then actually fixing computers. Anyone work with Geek Squad or have any information to share?

Thank you

If this is your first Technical Job then you should take it. Experience and knowing people is everything in this field.
Learn as much as you can from them and meet as many people as you can there. Although It might not sound or look like the best thing in the world, It will be very valuable to your future.

If thats the way you want to go then all for it. If you dont have a 4 year degree, thats going to be the best entry level job you will be able to get, and you will have to work your way up with entry level experience.

I currently work for GS and I've been working for GS since Best Buy launched it in all its stores and let me tell you something.. it's the worse job you can ever have if you want to work on computers. All you do all day is ring up computers, sell GS services, sell more GS services, oh and did I mention you sell GS services? Anyway, so if you're not helping a customer, or selling GS services, you're actually working on computers and what you mainly do is spyware/virus removals, memory/video/etc upgrades, os restores and data backups. In an average 8 hour workday, you spend about 1-2 hours working on computers, 3 hours if you're lucky and customers aren't asking you where the bathroom is.

Out of the 2.5 years I've been working with BBY, the most challenging thing I've done is install drivers for a hard drive so it can see past 137 gigs.. I got happy once when I got to install a motherboard... but that has only happend ONCE in 2.5 years.

Long story short, if you want to do computer repairs, like.. really work on computers, go to a small computer shop or become a Double Agent for GS (they're the ones out on the field fixing computers all day). But again, you'll be expected to sell and the most challening thing you'll probably do out on the field is virus/spyware removals. GS has made me never want to touch a computer again while I'm at work because I have a fear of not being able to complete the computer because a customer pulls me away from it.

i worked for Geek Squad for about 3 months after getting my A+ cert. and let me tell you it was horrible. I had managers who would schedule me one day, then call me and cancel the shift. Then the manager who was working that night would call me and ask why I wasn't there. They promised me full time and then gave me less than 25 hours a week. The management treats you like a liability instead of a co-worker.

One time I had a customer coming to pick up their laptop and I had to get a manager to open the cage where it was locked. I called for a manager for like 30 minutes. Finally the customer said they'd come back later!!!

I'd never take my computer in to a Geek Squad let alone recommend someone to work for them.

Seems like your best buy must have some serious problems. I think the actual quality of the store depends on the regional and store managers the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom