Windows sounds not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humbucker

In Runtime
When I use Winamp/WMP, play a game or do anything the sound is working fine and I've had this soundcard(M Audio Audiophile 192) for almost a year now. I just noticed today the sound I normally hear when shutting down and starting up has gone. To test the sound I tried the free pinball game that comes with XP - nothing. I hadn't noticed it before, but I think the lack of windows sound has been the case for a few days now. As far as I am aware, I haven't changed any settings. The only thing I can think has caused it, is my wife has been downloading and trying out a few trials of DVD converting/ burning software including Nero. Maybe it has changed something somehow. Like I say, the soundcard is working fine as when I do anything else there is perfect sound. Anyone have any ideas?

More then likely it is your sound profile.
click start / settings / control panel / then the sounds and audio icon then click the sounds icon
see the lower window, there should be a speaker next to every event that you want to hear a sound when that event is activated. Is there a speaker to the left of shut down start up ?

Highlight one of the sounds with a speaker

and a few lines down on the right , directly to the left of browse click the arrow, you should hear the associated sound for the event you have highlighted , that has a speaker the left. If you still do not hear anything click browse and tell me what you see ?

tractorboy said:

and a few lines down on the right , directly to the left of browse click the arrow, you should hear the associated sound for the event you have highlighted , that has a speaker the left. If you still do not hear anything click browse and tell me what you see ?

OK, I'll give that try and let you know. Many thanks. :)

ok, I think also when you click the browse you can select other folders / or enter custm .wav files into that folder for different event sounds.
you can google " wav" files for different sounds
you may actually want to navigate to that folder using windows explorer and try playing the wav files with windows media player to make sure they are not corrupt.

tractorboy said:

OK, tried this - it doesn't allow me to click the arrow to the left of browse - it isn't highlighted. When I click browse it brings up the list of all the different sounds. They play fine in Media Player....:confused:

1. YOU HAVE TO HIGHLIGHT ONE OF THE EVENTS, FIRST, ...AND
IT HAS TO BE AN EVENT THAT HAS A SPEAKER TO THE LEFT

2. ...ONCE YOU HAVE DONE THAT, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO CLICK THE ARROW AND HEAR THE ASSOC WAV FILE PLAY

3. IF DO STEP 1 ABOVE AND YOU HEAR NO SOUND OR THE ARROW DOES NOT ALLOWED TO BE CLICKED

4. GO TO CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE TAB / DEVICES
...make sure there are NO devices with a red X or yellow circle with an exclamation point.

5. I think what it is going to come down to is probably reinstalling your sound card drivers....not yet

tractorboy said:
1. YOU HAVE TO HIGHLIGHT ONE OF THE EVENTS, FIRST, ...AND
IT HAS TO BE AN EVENT THAT HAS A SPEAKER TO THE LEFT

2. ...ONCE YOU HAVE DONE THAT, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO CLICK THE ARROW AND HEAR THE ASSOC WAV FILE PLAY

3. IF DO STEP 1 ABOVE AND YOU HEAR NO SOUND OR THE ARROW DOES NOT ALLOWED TO BE CLICKED

4. GO TO CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE TAB / DEVICES
...make sure there are NO devices with a red X or yellow circle with an exclamation point.

5. I think what it is going to come down to is probably reinstalling your sound card drivers....not yet

Done all that, no devices with a red x/yellow circle. I doubt my soundcard drivers have anything to do with it, as I installed them a couple of months ago and this problem has only happened in the last week. I think it's something to do with the number of new programs I have installed, such as Napster and a bunch of DVD burners I tried. I think something has changed some setting somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom