Stuttering/BSOD/Random Pauses

Status
Not open for further replies.

o29

Solid State Member
I posted about this a while ago, but it hasn't been solved, and lately a few different things have happened.

Whenever I load something and am listening to music, the music stutters. Also, my mouse pointer will become chunky as I move it, and whatever programs I'm running also seem to take a performance hit. My CPU usage jumps up to 100%.

Before I installed a 250GB hard drive in addition to the 150 GB that I'm using now, I didn't have any of these problems. I've tried disconnecting the 250, but that didn't work, so I set the 250 as the master, disconnected the 150, and tried installing XP on the 250. However, I still was getting the same problems. I've replaced my motherboard, because I thought that was the problem. I ran a memory test to test my RAM, and that looked fine too.

Just a few minutes ago, I was playing a game and my computer crashed to a BSOD. I didn't have time to write down what it said, though.

Whenever I'm playing a game, the hard drive makes some strange noises. This doesn't happen consistently, but every few minutes it will make the noise (almost sounding like it's starting up then stopping again or something). This also seems to be around when I the game freezes (sometimes for about 90 seconds straight).

The only thing I can think of is that it's a power issue, but even when I disconnect my video card and second hard drive, it doesn't seem to help at all. Maybe my PSU has just gone bad at this point?

My computer idles at around 32C, and while playing a game it never seems to rise above 42C.

I tried running off Knoppix (live cd) and I didn't notice any lag running it. Maybe that's because I wasn't able to do anything CPU intensive, though.

Hmmm some of that sounds like impending hard drive death, but it could be a shity psu causing bad voltage. Get motherboard monitor and tell us your voltages, get High Low and Average. You also might want to get a volt meter or a/c outlet tester and test for bad voltage at your outlets.

I have two computers hooked up to the same outlet and the other is working perfectly fine, and they're all conected through the same surge protector, so I'd imagine that it would be my PSU. Here's what the PSU says:

AC-I/P | 115/230V~ | 10A/6A | 60/50Hz
DC --- | +3.3V | +5V | +12V | -12V | -5V | +5VSB
O/P | 28A | 40A | 17A | .8A | .3A | 2A
MAX | 220W | ------- | 9.6W | 1.5W | 10W
380 W | | |
MAX TOTAL WATTAGE: 400W.

I honestly have no idea what any of that means besides max total wattage...I tried to align the columns, but the forum doesn't like me using spaces so it kind of messed up my boxes.

Also, wouldn't installing XP on a fresh hard drive and having the same problem prove that isn't directly related to the hard drive?

Also, something else worth noting is that my Radeon 9800 Pro has been having problems...

When I boot my computer, a lot of the time I'll get a message saying "Radeon 9800 Pro has not been properly connected to the power supply." I noticed a little while back that one of the power splitters had a little burn mark on one of the prongs short after my computer had crashed.

This may be unrelated to what is happening (I researched this problem and an electronics expert seemed to think that it was not the PSU). Though, it does kind of lead me to believe I need a new PSU.

I can't afford to bring my computer in anywhere to get it checked out (that'd end up being like $300 probably) so I guess I'll just buy a new PSU and cross my fingers.

Any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom