In need of advice about a graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

boggyplanet

Solid State Member
hi guys, i got the specs that you can see in my signature...

i'm not satisfied at all with my graphics card and am looking for a replacement. i work with autocad, photoshop and other software that manage heavy graphics, as well as gaming.
so my question is, what's the best card for me if i want to play the latest games with alll graphic functions to the max?

7800GT only 320 dollars :D roughly same price as a 6800GT AGP

if this is for pcie16 if for AGP go for a 6800GT then

so i got some newbie questions now...

what's better, PCI express or AGP?
is the SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600XT AGP8X 256MB any good?
i live in Chile and it's a lot more expensive here to buy a card then in the USA. or else i'd get the 7800 hehe

PCI express is better just because there are no more cards coming out thats AGP

so it looks like a 6600GT will fit your needs :D

but your specs are AGP sdo a 6600GT AGP would be fine just because i dont thikn you want to buy a whole new mobo do you?

does that mean motherboards aren't going to incorporate AGP slots anymore? cuz i guess PCI express is a different slot that comes only with the new MOBOs.
if so, i was also thinking about getting a new mobo because the one i got is veeery poor in pci slots, it only has 3. this is just because at the time i bought it there were almost no computer parts left at my dealer.

You are not going to like PCIE then. Mine has 3 PCI slots 2 PCIx1 (can't use the one directly bellow the graphics card as it will block air flow, and the other one would still be closer than I would like it to be.)

AGP is being phased out now, so yes. I don't know if Nvidia or VIA will make a AGP chipset next time. AGP boards are still around though, just no new cards for the socket.

i just read up on PCIE and what you guys said about AGP not being used for GFX cards anymore... i didn't have a clue that it had gone obsolete, in the sense that there won't be any further development of GFX cards in AGP chipsets. this means i gotta sell my card soon before noone wants it anymore! and get myself a PCIE card. 6600 sounds good. i'm wondering if anybody knows if it has any trouble running the latest games at the highest settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom