its my first time touching a video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonehelm

Daemon Poster
hi everyone

yep, its my first time installing a video card for myself. Im only 14 years old, im not a professional computer techie, so I need help here. thanks.

can a techie please tell me how to install an AGP card step by step ? i know the basics, but i've heard that there are wires connecting to the card. so is this procedure right?

1. open the side panel

2. unplug the wires that were connected to my old video card

3. just pull the old card out? or any buttons to press?

4. just insert the new card ? which side should it be facing? ofcourse i know which side you use to insert it to the port, but is there a front side and back side of the card?

5. connect the wires to my old card ( which is where? i think i will see some ports in my video card? )

6. put the side panel back on

7. turn on the comp

8. do i need to go into bios or anything? i have an ati card with catalyst 5.9 now, if i upgrade to another ati card, do i need to reinstall the drivers? or just leave them there?

9. play games ?

thanks so much , and sorry if this is a lengthy question. i know its an easy question , but thanks for spending time reading it and replying it.:)

1) correct
2) correct
3) there should be a little slide on the right hand side of the socket you have to push to the right
4) leave the slide open, heatsink (part sticking out) and the side with all the batteries, capacitors and other fancy stuff should face down, push the slide back to its place
5) if there is a place for them
6) correct
7) plug the monitor into the video card
8) it will auto detect; no
9) play away

thanks a lot ! should the side with hsf, batteries and stuff face right hand side or left hand side?

o LOL sorry coz i thought i should flip the whole case with the comp with one side on the floor to install stuff that should be easier

ok i get it now, thanks :D

a 9800 pro agp

also why would i want to plug the card into the monitor?

my card is not a VGA card.. or ...does it make a difference?

did the 9800PRO come with a DVI cable? does your monitor have DVI?

ati-9800.jpg

the one on the rightis DVI by the way

my monitor only has two cables : one for power and one for connecting to the pc.

the one that connects to the pc is connected to the back of the pc's case , its not directly plugged into the video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom