Restarting trying to build a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

harobikes333

In Runtime
Hello again:\ Though I'm glad to be back on the computer doing stuff again I'm still in need of a new computer... so here I am

About a couple months ago I went on this forum and about four others and posted and learned a crap load about all the new parts that had come out and what ones where the "cream of the crop". Now its been a month or too and I'm looking to get a list done and just build the dang thing.

I'd like this computer to last as long as I am at home which will be for.... *counts on fingers* three years if I go to a college in town here for one year for generals.

I really don't wanna have to overclock any parts because I've never done that sort of thing... Plus I'd like to keep the three year warranty on the cpu, etc.

Looking at some forums I've noticed that people are starting to tell everyone to buy a opteron CPU. I'm kind of confused as too what all this talk is about and if I should change my CPU from a 3800 X2 to something else.

Here is my old computer parts list that I hope you can revise:

----------
Cpu: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor 3800+
^Toledo or just stick with manchester...
----------
Hdd: Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 - 250GB
----------
Graphics card: 7800GT<==Must change the model/brand to something tho...
----------
Cooler master centurion 5

----------
Floppy Drive of some sort mabe...?
----------
Dvd burner NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A - OEM
^Donno if that is the ideal dvd burner to get anymore...
----------
Motherboard: DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
^^^
I was going to get that mobo but now that its been a while and more mobos have come out. What mobo do you think I should get.

I have no clue as to what monitor I should get:(

My budget is $1300 US

Thanks for all those who read this post and try to help me:D

Lol it actually sounds good, just get 2gigs of corsair or gail valueselect ram, and make the graphics card a 7800gtx (Wait.. unless you already have a 7800gt if that's what you're saying? If so, stick to that)
Maybe get a different case such as the nzxt trinity (in my sig) or if that's not your style, maybe the coolermaster wave master or cavalier.
Otherwise it actually looks really good, not much has changed, except for the whole opteron stuff, which I don't know much about.

Is this ram ok?

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Platinum System Memory

EDIT: I don't have a 7800GT, I'm going to get one though hopefully:D

so why do you suggest the GTX...? since i'm on a 1500MAX budget... Is it that much of a performance gain..?

I'd get the GT if it were me. It's way cheaper and you can OC it to the GTX levels of performance. There's really no reason to OC a 7800GT as it is. I'd get the GT, hands down.

Ryan

I now have decided that I'm not going to OC until I have to...

I would OC but when I build the computer it will be the only computer in the house and if the OC for some reason kills the CPU or in worst case all the parts then I'd be out of a computer since the computer I'm using right now is runnin at 780mhz with upgraded 300+mb of ram... and its not going to last forever...

I'm hoping to start out at least with 1 gig of ram. Because I do plan on playing some games.
I'm still wondering if I should go ahead and get the opteron 170 or the 165 and not OC it..... or else get the 3800 X2 instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

i would say 2 gigs if u can afford it, pick up some Corsair or Geil ValueSelect

and I would get the Opteron 170, but thats just me :D

get 2GB and wtf? didnt we spend about 30 freakin pages on your last build and you want to make another one w0w

everything else looks good, get an eVGA 7800GT :D

>_< you even reply'd in my guide i think too... lol, if not, go there and see if it helps any (in sig)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom