What is PfModNT & Slow bootup "Verifying DMI Data Pool"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcidicRage

Baseband Member
I have two questions:

1. I went through my Device Manager and checked for anything under "Hidden Devices." To my surprise, there was a PfModNT type of device that had the yellow exclamation mark above it. So I right click and noticed that the service was stopped. I tried clicking start and it said the file could not be found. Could this also be an IRQ conflicts. How do you check if you have any IRQ hardware conflicts and then how do you change them, if you do? Does anyone know exactly what is PfModNT is?

2. Just recently, I notice that my PC now hangs for like 5 seconds at startup right before it loads Windows. There's a message that says "verifying dmi pool data" and hangs for a few seconds, then resumes to load Windows. I haven't installed any new hardware except a chipset fan within the past weeks, and it seems to be hanging for a few seconds right before Windows load. What could this mean?

ive had similar experiences with NT4.0 (sp6). aftyer a year or two of usage i first got this message "Verifying DMI Data Pool". my puter just froze there and refused to load windows. i tried to start it again and again very ****ing many times and then all of the sudden it did some weird auto repair checking or something like that before loading windows. everythi9ng was ok again.

then maybe a year after this i got that same message (after not shutting win properly), but this time no auto-repair showed up. so i took the hd into other puter and just about managed to get all the stuff i needed, but the hd was a goner.

so maybe it can be fixed, but id backup everything important before doing anythuing else.

good luck in your mission, mr. Acidik.

OK, I seem to have fixed the 1st problem, but still haven't figured out what the second problem is. Maybe the second problem is normal cause on my brother's athlon XP 2100+, it does the same thing, it lags/delays for like 4 or 5 seconds, then loads Windows, but I remember clearly it never did this before. Perhaps this is a normal occurance? I did a search on google regarding the DMI Data pool. It appears that it refers to possibly the hard drive also, or something else... which I still have no idea of.

It doesnt freeze like what you said, it just hangs/delays for 4-5 seconds.

Do you guys know if SOFTWARE impacts the DMI Data Pool? I thought it only meant something hardware-related. Cause I dont have any new hardware except a fan (if you count that has hardware) that uses an additional molex connector. I have, downloaded lots of software programs including AntiViruses, drivers, etc....does that affect the DMI Data Pool? (although I dont think it does)

It's weird because when I first got my computer, it wasn't like this. My brother's computer and I have do share some of the same hardware components and stuff too, so maybe we experience this. It isn't too much, maybe like 3-4 seconds in reality. It doesn't hang. We both have Giga-byte motherboards (not same model of course, I have P4, he has Athlon XP cpu)
who have updated our BIOS to the latest version. We also have updated our chipset drivers too.

The DMI check isn't a default set on most BIOS. It is selected if you ever change the settings in the BIOS to, "Load Optimal" settings or whatever the most stable settings are for that BIOS it selects that. I actually think it is more stable for the system.

I have had some crazy issues with Serial ATA drives and that is something that came up after making changes in the BIOS.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom