Reinstallation woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scouter5647

Beta member
Hello,

I recently helped two friends back up their data from their respective PCs, reformat, and reinstall Windows XP. All went well, and after the installation, I installed the drivers for the wireless cards. But in both cases, the wireless card will no longer connect to the internet.

Please forgive the vague problem--what I'd like to know if there's something I did wrong that this happened twice? Did leaving the card in the computer during the installation mess it up?

Thanks for your input,
Ethan

I know that one of them used WEP . . .
I don't have the comp in front of me right now, so I can't say about "device manager". I can say that the wireless card can connect to the wireless router, but not to the internet. It sent many packets but only received, like, 3.

If it has WEP on it, it wont connect untill you put the key in. Did you install a program for the wireless or just the drivers?

We installed whatever CD came with the wireless card . . . I'm not sure if that includes the "program" or just the drivers.

Sorry, it's tricky without having my friend's comp in front of me . . . but thanks for the replies!

Well some cards have programs that you install for your connection but you dont need them, all you need are the drivers. When the program is installed, sometimes they have several settings, one can be called ad hoc and the other called access point. When you are on one, you can connect but when you are one the other you can. let me know when you get to the pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom