OCing 3000+ Venice

Status
Not open for further replies.

molsen

Do work.
...a continuation from my other thread...

What would the FSB be on a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice as seen in the BIOS? The reason I ask is that, as of right now, I am going with DDR400 RAM. However, if the FSB is 200mhz I won't be able to overclock unless I a) overclock the RAM (not likely with value RAM) or b) change the FSB:RAM ratio (generally slower?).

OCing seems much simpler with an Intel, but I'm up for the challenge of an AMD overclock if anyone's willing to help!

I was thinking of getting some DDR500 or 600 RAM, but that's ALOT more expensive....

yea I read that..but i'm still a little confused. will I have to adjust the multiplier to get it at 200fsb (10x multiplier + 180fsb= 1.8ghz)? or will it be that value by default, say, 9x multiplier + 200fsb = 1.8ghz?

-edit- sorry i missed the first part of this post in the guide.... its 9x + 200fsb = 1.8ghz

but i still want to know is there a reduction in performance using memory divider? i know there is using most Intel chips...but not so sure about AMD

there is no reduction in performanve when running the memory dividers cause amd is so good :D

aw hell yea... i'm so excited to get this shite finished. but i have about $500 more to spend...

all i have so far is the case, arctic thermal paste, floppy drive, cd-rom/dvd burner, and many case fans, hard drive.... i better get rolling

PZEROFGH said:
there is no reduction in performanve when running the memory dividers cause amd is so good :D
don't tell him lies, of course there is a reduction in preformance, and the bigger the divider, the bigger the reduction.

If you leave the FSB (HTT) at it's default setting, then yes. However, you can set your RAM to 166Mhz, and bump the HTT up to 250, and in this case with the 3000+, he would have his CPU at 2.25Ghz, and his RAM at 204Mhz (any value RAM should be able to handle a 4Mhz overclock).

yea that's what i was thinking....as long as the RAM speed was back up above 200mhz it'd be okay. see with intel processors, memory is ALOT more critical and running memory dividers when overclocking causes a pretty crappy performance problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom