Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found win 98 and downloaded it but it's in a rar file. I have win rar but i want to extract it to autorun onto the old pc. What doo I do

hello
do you have a cd burner on the pc downloaded to
if you do extract it to a folder more then likely it is an image file
you can burn an image file to a cd and it will make an exact copy of the win 98 cd

do you have a cd key ? , maybe there is one in a folder of file one the image file is on the cd.

when you burn the image file YOU NEED TO BURN IT "AS AN IMAGE FILE" ( if it is an image file, like xxxx.iso ) NOT JUST COPY THE FILE TO A CD.
What cd burning program to you have ?

I have a CD burner. The program is called 'Nero' . I Extracted it to a folder called win98 I made it on my desktop. I have a CD Key for win 98. Where do I find the image file and when I if I find an image file, do I burn like normal. Will u explain step-by-step how to do this starting when I extract it?

NERO is an excellent program
so you have extracted tht rar file to a folder have you ?
is it one giant file ?
or is it like all the fies and folders on the 98 cd ?
if it is one giant file, what is the extension ?

I have extrated it to a folder. It is 151 MB. There is 1 folder called "tour" and 5 folders in the tour folder and 5 files as well. There is 106 files including the important ones. It is win98se.rar

google a program called winiso
they have a trial ver, unless you have another program to make an iso
this may not work, will give it a try
let me know when you DL winiso

lol, (off topic) I once had windows xp pro on a computer with:

64 MB RAM
233Mhz Processor
2.5 GB hard drive

it worked fine untill I installed service pack

then it took hours to load...

what you need to do is create an iso file, one big file with all the files and folders that were unpacked, it may not work, since it is in the state it is it may not have the boot image.
the easiest way is to open winiso, then open windows explorer, then if windows explorer opens where it takes up the whole desktop, click on the double squares between the minus sign and the X in top right, this will reduce window expl enogh to be able to drag the right corner and make windows expr small and sid eby side with winiso. I think what I woud do is click on the folder where the files are and in the right pane, highlight all then drag into WINISO, or copy and paste. Then create the iso. Put a cd in the tray, open nero, depending on ver close the pop up that asks what you want to do. click on recorder, then in the drop down box select "burn image file" point nero to your iso file
you have to burn it theway if you just copy to the cd it will not work. to test leave in the cd tray, reboot, set your bios to boot from a cd drive, save cmos ...the cd should boot...if it doesn't no big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom