another question

Status
Not open for further replies.

molsen

Do work.
i realize 90% of everyone on here is pro-AMD but PLEASE try to give me a fair and honest answer to this quesion.

-I already own a Celeren D 330 w/ upgraded fan/heatsink. With the motherboard to overclock it and high performance RAM, it all costs around $280.

-However, an AMD 64 3000+ Venice w/ a motherboard with no overclocking capabilites and value RAM, is around $280 also.

(all other components such is vid. card or harddrive, etc. would be the same in each system)

Now do I stick with the Cely project and overclock it to 3.8ghz and possibly have room to OC more with water cooling some time in the future, or do I try to sell the Cely and go with the AMD system that can't be OC'ed.

Here's the way I see it right now... I really want a fun OC project. HOWEVER, the socket 939 leaves me LOTS of room for future upgrade. Unlike socket 478 which I could, at most, put in a P4 3.4E and overclock that.

My Cely was only $78, so I wouldn't be losing a whole lot of money...

also, if anyone can think of any other pros/cons, please mention them

vagnozzi said:
I'd like to do the same with my celeron D...is water cooling a MUST with this overclocking?

only if you're going to go above 3.6ghz i imagine. just a really good air cooler should take you pretty far.

i was going to get this MB: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813186082

see, if i spend 30 more dollars for an OCable mobo, then I would rather just stick with the cely project, you know? I want to know if spending the same money would it be better to:

a) go with the OC-project to boost the cely to a speed slightly exceeding the 3000+ venice with limited upgradability

or

b) go with a non-OC 3000+ venice with lots of room for upgradability in the future

You can overclock on that board ... mabey not as much as a nice DFI board, but you can do it. I say go for the 3000+.

really? well that's a huge plus. i'm starting to think the 3000+ would be a better choice. it just sucks because I already bought the cely...maybe sell it on ebay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom