Win XP Media Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
EricB said:
you are wrong.

1st thing it's need to properly configure a MS certified MCE tuner. that alone takes more than 60mb
2.it has a ton of extra's. there are too many to name
3. it doesn't have a different theme. it is xp pro with it's regular theme. media center is an addition to windows. if you don't enable it, it will never show up
4 where did you get that info ?
5. it comes with windows media enhancements (that alone cover 76mb) which is windows audio convertor, windows party mode, windows dancer and the label maker.
6.you can access everything through your TV and home stereo through the remote.

regular windows take up 1.5 gigs space on a fresh install. MCE is over double that

i own MCE and used it ...and its has different themes ....you dont need to activate the themes because Royale Themes Come up on First Boot ...and XP mCE takes 2GB HJDD Space

And it has the media Centre wiv is around 40mb as i have ripped it from MCE for Win XP and there aint anything else different in MCE to XP apart from the Style and Media Centre Application

Tyler1989 said:
Though I haven't used it personally I still say you can't use all the features it offers it's just to much. As for making the switch I may but I don't have a Media Center PC per say so I cannot connect the PC to the TV without special adapters. It has a cool theme but that is no reason to switfh OS's and I also heard the Final Update Rollup was released not to long ago. Doesn't that make XP Pro more secure?

If not I may make the switch. But no adapters = no remote = no real purpose for it.

You dont need a Media Centre pc ..i run it on a Intel p2 450mhz wiv 192mb ram and its fine

Amd2800 said:
You dont need a Media Centre pc ..i run it on a Intel p2 450mhz wiv 192mb ram and its fine

again not true. yeah you can install it on that machine, but it will never act right. that probably why it only took up 2 gig on your xp machine. it takes up 3 gigs on mine. but even if it only took up 2 gigs on your computer that is still 500 more mb than xp. the default theme for mce is enegy blue which is only slightly different than reg XP. I just reinstall mine saturday

MediaCE.jpg

the first computer I install it on was an amd2000 with 1gig 2100 ram. it was a joke. nothing ever act right. every time I went to do something it was get stuck and lock up. After that I switch the amd2600 processor and 512 2700 (I can raise the FSB now) ram from my kid's computer in the basement (It was actually my computer but when I built them an upstair computer, I stopped hanging in the basement on it, so i gave it to them).

MCE act better after that but it still capture video incorrectly and it would still get constantly stuck at times . after talking to the nvidia guy (I thought that my nvtv tuner was messed up), he told me that the bare minium for MCE2005 (I also had the wack A$$ mce 2004 too, but it never worked right) was a 3 gig processor and 1 gig ram.

I wanted to go 64 bit anyway, so finally I built me an amd 64 3500 with 1 gig samsung 400 ram, 400 gig 128 mb pci express machine.

Now MCE act like it was intended too. it never get stuck anymore, my recorded video has great quality even when you set it to fair on the recording tab and everything works flawlessly.

Amd2800 said:
i own MCE and used it ...and its has different themes ....you dont need to activate the themes because Royale Themes Come up on First Boot ...and XP mCE takes 2GB HJDD Space

And it has the media Centre wiv is around 40mb as i have ripped it from MCE for Win XP and there aint anything else different in MCE to XP apart from the Style and Media Centre Application

from rereading this, it look like you have mce 2004. it would work on a lower processor plus it had different themes. but you could not configure 2004 to work with MCE aftermarket tuners linke an nvtv. they would only work on a few selected tuners on mostly prebuilt machine.

MCE 2004 was on 1 disc. Mce 2005 was on 2 discs. with about 27 minutes left during install it will ask for disc 2, then run that for a few minutes, then it will ask for the original cd

No mce never locked up ...i used to play games on it an d everything i did on XP i did on MCE just fine ive installed on a 450mhz and 650mhz machine

there were only 2 version if I remember correctly. 2004 and 2005
when you use the regular part of xp, it wouldn't get stuck. it would only get stuck when using the the mce part

MCEMyMusic.jpg

MCEMyPictures.jpg

MCEMyRadio.jpg

MCEMySettings.jpg

MCEMyShowcase.jpg

MCEMyVideo.jpg

EricB said:
from rereading this, it look like you have mce 2004. it would work on a lower processor plus it had different themes. but you could not configure 2004 to work with MCE aftermarket tuners linke an nvtv. they would only work on a few selected tuners on mostly prebuilt machine.

MCE 2004 was on 1 disc. Mce 2005 was on 2 discs. with about 27 minutes left during install it will ask for disc 2, then run that for a few minutes, then it will ask for the original cd

no my 2004 edition is on 2cds

one is 700mb and another is 300mb ..something like that

Oh. ok. I love the green caller ID screen which comes across your tv telling you who it is when the phone rings

CallerID.jpg

TV.jpg

Alarm.jpg

RSS.jpg

Solitary.jpg

Recorded.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom