Please explain the difference between SATA and IDE Harddrives

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodNews101

In Runtime
Not only the differences, but what are the advantages. For example, I can look at a WD IDE ATA/100 80 gig 7200 rpm, 8 mb cache an a WD SATA with the same numbers but the SATA is more expensive. So, what can SATA offer that IDE can't?

I know I need a motherboard that can handle SATA but are there other things that I need to know with SATA besides the correct cables? Thanks.

IDE uses the big 40/80 pin ribbons. SATA uses much smaller ones.
Higher RPM usually means faster access times, but perhaps not in all cases.
8 Meg cache is about all you'll ever need for today's stuff, 16 is more of a marketing thing for people that think they need 16 to look cool. The difference in your everyday useage will not be noticable.

An IDE hard drive is as good for anything as a SATA drive is. The only difference is that SATA cables are significantly smaller so it helps with cable management.

SATA and IDE are interfaces. the way the hard drive communicates with the motherboard.
IDE = normal ATA, or paralell ATA, and like nuke said, has wide ribbon cables
SATA has much thinner cables, are better for airflow and can transfer more data at a time (150MB/S for Version 1, 300MB/S for Version 2) where IDE/ATA/PATA can transfer a maximum of 133MB/S

although the speed of the hard drive itself restricts how much output you get. most hard drives can transfer about 50-60MB/s, which is under the IDE limit. and this includes SATA drives as well. they're basically the same except for the interface.

the most SATA does ATM is incease airflow, and make it easier to plug the cable in.

Okay, let's say I decide to go with a SATA. Now mind you I only have ever worked with IDE interface with no problems whatsoever. Are SATA's more difficult in terms of steps in installing and if so what are those steps?

I was going to start the same topic!

I noticed that SATA is the future, and the prices have dropped. I already have a IDE drive with 8mb cache that has 200GB(but due to a little problem when installing windows, ended up with 133) and the computer is running fine.

I was wondering if you can boot from a SATA drive and still have the IDE drives running at the same time. Because I want to duplicate my current drive to a SATA drive and then reformat to get back my 200GB and use it as a secondary drive for storing the stuff I don't use.

If anything SATA is easier to configure. each drive gets its own connection, No double drives on a single cable, therefore there are no jumpers to set as in slave or master. (I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom