Critique my build #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

philmeup

Solid State Member
Okay, revised my previous build after finding some deals, check it out:

First time builder here, let me know what you think, making for family, used for bit of gaming and mostly internet/music/school work. Any suggestions for cheaper alternatives let me know!! BTW in Canada, is tigerdirect going to be the cheapest?

Corsair Value Select Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory ( 2 x 512MB ) $132.99CDN

NEC ND3540A / 16x8x16x DVD+RW / 16x6x16x DVD-RW / 8x DVD+R DL / 6x DVD-R DL / 48x32x48x CD-RW / Black / Dual Layer / OEM DVD Burner with Nero Software $56.99CDN

Coolmax / CX-400B / Silver / 400-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / Power Supply $47.99CDN

Asus K8V SE Deluxe Socket 754 ATX Motherboard and AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Processor $209.97CDN

Thermaltake TR2 M6 / Socket 754/940 / AMD Athlon 64/Opteron / Ball Bearing / Copper Core / CPU Cooling Fan $18.99CDN

XFX GeForce 6600 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X / Dual DVI / TV Out / Video Card $168.99CDN

Maxtor / DiamondMax 10 / 160GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-133 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive $59.97CDN

Ultra Wizard Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB and Firewire Ports $40.99CDN

Total ~736 CDN

What do you think?
Thanks!

get an leadtek 6600 or gigabyte or MSI cause XFX have the highest rate to get a DOA card or have a problem with it

get a seagate hdd or WD

ditch that psu get a better quality one

why are you goign with s754 as you can not upgrade any more just like AGP, go for s939.

why are you making another thread, just post it in your origianl thread

Sorry i'm completely new to building computers, made new thread because i thought i could delete old one, but couldn't.

Anyways, what do you mean I can't upgrade the s754, what kind of upgrades are you talking about, chances are i wont be upgrading anything. Reason i switched to the s754 was cause tigerdirect had a good deal on this mobo+cpu.

For PSU is there anything ~50 CDN that's decent or is it really worth it to spend more $, remember this will not be a gaming rig, just something that can keep up with the new games.

Is maxtor really that crappy, reason i ask is that its a great deal compared to seagat or wd.

Any preference for vid card: leadtek or gigabyte or MSI?

Thanks for you help!!!

What do you think about the:
Chaintech GeForce 6600 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8x / DVI / HDTV / Video Card (1 lbs) $149CDN

and

Vantec / ION2 / 350-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / Power Supply $54CDN

s754 = dead fish.

AMD has discontinued the socket 754's. 939's will be around for about another year and a half, though.

754's do not have dual channel memory capability, and they are more limited in mobo choices.

Oh, and forget TigerDirect. You never get your rebates. So if you can't afford it without the rebate, you can't afford it from them.

For other places to order from, check the first post in this thread: http://techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49155&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

you cant upgrade your cpu, so by the time you want to, you will have to buy a whole new mobo and cpu and probably video card too. but if you go with s939 you can upgrade to a greater processor like an X2 Dual core processors :D

So I cant use the corsair dual channel ram then, should i get ddr or ddr2 ram? The mobo selected is compatible.
Are you sure about the rebate thing, cause I've read elsewhere about people getting their rebates, but i've also heard people not getting them?
Chances are this computer will not be upgraded much if at all in its lifespan so I don't think the 754 will be a problem, or will it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom