Why is everyone saying SLI sucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long has SLI been around? How many games are there that require SLI? isn't the x1800xt supposed to be equivelent to 6800 ultras in SLI? :)

This is a good debate so I will keep it open. No games require SLI, like i've said right now...but that will all change when Unreal Engine 3 hits. Basically, UT2007 is going to make most of its money of its XBOX 360 version. Its going to be one heck of a reward for only those with the greatest hardware to be able to play it on PC.

Right now this is all pure speculation. Will UT2k7 be demanding? Absolutely. However, gfx card tech will progress, so it will only need 1 8800 GTX or whatever for high end stuff. Besides, i bet u the game will still look amazing on medium settings.

Just remember, the UE3 demo was done on a single 6800 Ultra with old and very slow drivers. Also, of course UT2007 requires 2 6800 Ultra's to run on high. by the time UT2007 is released, we'll be looking back on the 6 series and how it struggles with it while we play it with our 8-series cards.

Doom 3 is a great example of this. Doom 3 was originally made for the GeForce 3, and we all knew that in order to play it we would all need a GeForce 3 or 4 Ti card. But when it was released we had the 6-series cards that ran it great.

by the time those games come out, the 7800GT/GTX will be like today's 6600GT. I think they would be about $250 bucks by the time the games come out. SLI is used for money right now and Nvidia, ATI, mobo companies, and card companies are LOOOVING it!! Reason? Its a scam pretty much... they feel the need to have the best of the best when in reality the 7800GT/GTX will play any game perfectly. So thats a waste of $450 bucks.
When the M2 comes out, all the prices will go down.. the current sockets, the current cpu's, current mobo's. So once new video cards come out dont you think that they too will be lowered? Of course. But you guys are veiwing it like omg it takes 2 7800GT/GTX's to play unreal on high settings... by the time this happens, those cards will be pretty cheap and new and advanced cards will be out that will only require one of..

^^ agreed. Take this into consideration, I can play BF2 at the highest settings with 4AA... on an ATI 9800 XT stock settings. I bought the card when it was "high end" which means i've had it for a long time. Get a good card and it will last a while.

BColes said:
^^ agreed. Take this into consideration, I can play BF2 at the highest settings with 4AA... on an ATI 9800 XT stock settings. I bought the card when it was "high end" which means i've had it for a long time. Get a good card and it will last a while.

yup.. exactly. Lol, in a year though, that card will be similiar to a fifty dollar card from wally world >_<

nah dude, you're gonna need to put liquid nitrogen on an FX-80 and clock it to 8GHz with 4Gb of PC100000000 RAM running dual channel and quad Dual GPU'd 8800GTXPROS in SLI just to run it at medium settings.

This dude at some forum, told me his friends little brother said that's what the specs were gonna be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom