Why is everyone saying SLI sucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sp4rtan

In Runtime
I don't really understand why everyone hates SLI. Could someone tell me why they think SLI is so bad?

I mean SLI can only make your graphics better and not worse.

Good point. I think the point you're MISSING though is the cost/perfomance ratio. It's terrible. You DOUBLE up your card and see a 30-50% increase in power. That's not cost effective. ESPECIALLY since a single 7800 series card can do anything you need it to. For example... if you have a 6800GT and double it up, you're going to be spending around $500. Now, you're going to be right at, or below the performance of a 7800GT. Why would you put TWO of them in there when you can have one single card for cheaper get the job done? Same thing with 6600GT:
You can get 2 6600GT's and spend around $300 on them. You can get one 6800GT for slightly less than that price and it will outperform the 6600GT's in SLI.

The reason everyone is beginning not to like it is because it is reasonless. It's a money pit in which you spend more than you recieve. Unless you're trying to make benchmarking history, then there is NO reason to SLI a card. The only other plausable reason would be that you have a 6600GT lying around from your last computer and don't want to spring for a new card altogether. So you add another one with your new shiny SLI motherboard.

The last way that money is being thrown away is the cost difference in motherboards. Calculate that into the equation, and you have yourself a losing situation.

SLI can improve graphics performance. But why? There's a more efficient way to do it.

I hope I didn't ruffle too many feathers.

Ryan

Sp4rtan said:
I don't really understand why everyone hates SLI. Could someone tell me why they think SLI is so bad?

Because people love money and and SLI is the destroyer of all money.

SLI is only good if you are a millionaire and have soo much money and want to have the best of the best, for pointless reasons. Also, if you get a SLI board, and one card, and down the line when your current card is cheap, it would be a cheap upgerade, but I would rather spend my money on a completely new card then.

SLI is just away for Nvidia to make more money.

Re: Re: Why is everyone saying SLI sucks?

BColes said:
Because people love money and and SLI is the destroyer of all money.

You couldn't be more right! :p

People like to say, "i'll get one card now and SLI when it drops in price later." like what was said above. By the time the price drops there will be better video cards out and you will look like a chump running two old cards that are outperformed by one new card. If i didn't have to worry about surviving i would definately waste some money on SLI/Crossfire. ;)

i agree with all that has been said above but in its defence there are people who have, say, an older build with a 6600gt inside they want more graphical power but dont want to pay the whole cost of a higher end card so they can get another 6600gt and SLI them, this will save a little money(if not very much) but i think it is a better upgrade option for the future than some people think. the cards will drop in price and the 7800gt of tomorow will still be the 6600 of today. as long as you use the sli to upgrade within say 9-10 months then you would be better off than buying a whole new top of the range card

Well my reason for getting an SLI mobo is because when the 7800gts drop down in price i can get a second one and run em on SLI and not have to spend more money for a single card when my two 7800gts can be almost as good or as good as that one card. i mean i just spent $400 for it. So I can get another whent theyre like $300 or something. So thats $700. Instead of spending 400 now and then atleast 4 or 500 hundred later on a newer card. Saveing me one or two hundred dollars for almost the same performance.Plus I got my sli mobo for the same price as single one.

I get what KMOTE and TheOtis are saying. I want to point out that yes you will be able to push more FPS but you will be stuck with the same technologies. It's the same old cards. What happens when SM4, DX10, etc land? those old cards won't help much

sli is overrated/overpriced atm.. Only a very small handfull of games support it, and when games don't support it nulls the 2nd card.

Right now, SLI is just a toy for the rich, and also Nvidia and mobo manufacturers to force people to needlessly upgrade their entire systems. However, future games such as games based on Unreal Engine 3 will DEMAND SLI. Right now, its just for the rich, but there will be a time when if you don't have SLI, you will basically be the same as having integrated graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom