NEON TUBES and O-ZONE SMELL

Status
Not open for further replies.
mmmmm crispy, probably just breaking itself in is my guess. Tvs and most electroncis tend to smell funny the first few times their used until they are used for over 20 hours or so.

btw.. Neon Tubes get hot correct? unlike cold cathodes?

yes, Neon Tubes use high voltage electricity to excite the Neon (or Argon with mercury added for diff. colours) so they get hot. Cold cathodes work differently.

yeah, there's no odor. They must be thinking of nearby particles around the oxygen being excited by the polar molecule. It's okay, we'll let them think ozone smells like something. :)

Ryan

Ozone (O3) is an allotrope of oxygen, the molecule consisting of three oxygen atoms instead of the more stable diatomic O2.

Ozone is a colorless gas at standard temperature and pressure. It forms a dark blue liquid below -112 °C and a dark blue solid below -193 °C. Ozone is a powerful oxidizing agent. It is also unstable, decaying to ordinary oxygen through the reaction

Ozone is a highly corrosive, poisonous substance and a common pollutant. It has a sharp, pungent odor. It is present in low concentrations throughout the Earth's atmosphere. It is also formed from O2 by electrical discharges such as lightning, and by action of high energy electromagnetic radiation.

Some kinds of electrical equipment generate levels of ozone that a human can easily smell. This is especially true of devices using high voltages, such as television sets and photocopiers. Electric motors using brushes can generate ozone from repeated sparking inside the unit. Large motors, such as those used by elevators or hydraulic pumps, will generate more ozone than smaller motors.

bunnymanboy said:
isnt oxygen. its an allotrope of oxygern!
:rolleyes:

I've smelt Ozone before. It's the oops-whys-my-power-supply-smoking smell =) I've also fried a laptop before, and yet again, the smell of reality hits you again.

Ozone? Isn't that pure Oxygen? lol. Or something like it., Yea I failed science but isn't it? I heard if we breathe straight Oxygen we die. LoL you know what I just realized stragiht oxygen would be O instead of O2 lol. NVM I'm retarded. And I'm still posting this lol

yeah, it's just 3 oxygem atoms bound together. not very strongly though, because each atom has only one electron pair bond with an oxygen atom next to it. that's why it reacts easily. O2 is a lot less reactive because the oxygen atoms have 2 pairs of bonding electrons. you'd have to break both bonds to separate the atoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom