Geforce 6800 GS

Status
Not open for further replies.
YES! I AM GETTING THIS CARD! Lol sorry for the caps but I am just so I excited for christmas! I am getting an AMD Opteron 165 dual core, a DFI Lanpart nF4 SLI mobo, and this. It will be amazing and a good gaming machine.

It will be amazing to see if the pipelines can be unlocked, if so, I bet it will be an extremely good card.

they cant be useing the exact same core the core for the GS is 425mhz and the GT is 350mhz they must have redone the core a little
I'm willing to bet it's **** near the same...yeah it's 425MHz, but it's also missing 4 pixel shaders and a vertex shader and the cards are virtually even....425MHz negates the loss of the pixel and vertex shaders, so it's easy to see that it very well could be pretty much the same core tweaked to simply not include those missing shaders at all instead of simply locking em

It will be amazing to see if the pipelines can be unlocked, if so, I bet it will be an extremely good card.
and this is what I'm saying, it's a 6800GT core with the pipelines completely removed...that'd be the little amount of 'tweaking' to the core they've done...I doubt theres any extra pipelines there to unlock at all, like the 6600GT they simply aren't there to be unlocked in the first place

Well, let's cross our fingers and hope it does have the extra pipelines, and vertex shader.

Here's the HardOCP review if anyone is interested:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=ODgyLDE=

Here's the 6800GS on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130258

Bravo Nvidia, Bravo! The 6800GS is also a "Hard Launch" like the other 6x00's!

From what it seems, this card looks badass! I don't belive that the GS has unlockable pipes, but i wouldn't be surprised if it does.

Originally posted by [H]ard|OCP
The GeForce 6800 GS is not based on new technology. It is not based on the last-generation G70 core called the “NV42.” This older NV42 is being pitted against ATI’s RV530 core, which is the heart of the X1600 series, and is a brand new GPU. As you can clearly see in our gaming, the 6800 GS is taking a very large lead over the Radeon X1600 XT for the same amount of money. I think NVIDIA deserves some kudos for building a GPU that apparently is standing the test of time, even when compared to ATI’s newest technology. It is also good to see older technologies once again sliding down into the mainstream positions. This has always been a boon for the hardware enthusiast and gamer in the past.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we shall take now thy crown performance midrange off thy noble 6600GT, and thus crown thy 6800GS as King!

well if the 6600GT drops to like $100 or lower it'd still be one helluva price/performance ratio, BUUUUT, spend twice that and you get more than twice the performance :D Well...especially if you OC'd it

Here's the Guru3D review, again if anyone is interested:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/278/

from the three reviews i've read (HardOCP, ExtremeTech, and Guru3D), the 6800GS seems to be roughly on par with te 6800GT at lower resolutions despite having 4 less pipelines. However, because of those 4 less pipelines the 6800GS is slower than the 6800GT by 5-15 fps give-or-take when the resolution is at 1280x1024/960 and above. The 6800GS seems to be a great product. its a must have for PCI-E builders that don't have enough money for a 6800GT but have more to spend than a 6800NU.

apparently Rivatuner lets you unlock pipes, and you don't have to flash the card's BIOS. if someone got a 6800 GS, they could try unlocking pipes with Rivatuner, to see if it was possible before actually softmodding it.
although I think somebody would need to make a custom BIOS, so it would still have the 425MHZ core.
I was thinking, if you did get one to 16 pipes, would it become a GTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom