Socket 754 SLI mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running a Socket 754 Board and Chip, not because I didn't have the money to get a 939 Chip, but because I bought the Board and Chip before the 939 chips were out. As far as im concerned they get the job done, so if you have one, keep it, they're great CPU's. If you don't, don't get one because your buying old technology, and if your going to make major upgrades, don't keep buying into the old technolgy, save your money, and move up to current standards.

I hate to bump this thread because I have no idea how old it is, but are you folks saying that if you're building a new PC literally TODAY to take the plunge and get the 939? I'm on the verge of purchasing the parts within the next day or so and I had my heart set on a 754. :( Some of these 939's are pretty costly.

BTW - What advantages does Sempron add? Like, if you had Athlon vs Athlon Sempron, what's the difference?

Semprons have their on-die memories reduced.

If you are buying new, buy a 939. If you already have a 754, then this mobo (as well as a couple of others that are coming out for OEMs) can offer a little bit of hope.

Only if you have a 754 and want to use SLI.

I can see a market for it.

I actually like this idea, because it would allow me to upgrade my graphics without having to get a new CPU, which I don't need at all. Thus, making my PC last much longer.

Nubius said:
bah, that's the dumbest crap...by the time people who have 754s are ready to drop money on a SLI board and system...then they'd be able to afford a socket 939 system

Agreed. Beed, if you can spend the extra $100 on a 7800GT, then just get the 939 ASRock Dual or w.e mobo that supports both APG and PCIEx16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom