graphics card problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

eso112

Beta member
I just got an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro video card. i got it all installed and everything, latest drivers. however, occationally, and more specifically whenever i start to play counter-strike, my system hangs for a few seconds, then i get an error message that says "VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands"

If anyone could tell me what is causing this, or what i could do to fix it i'd greatly appreciate it.

i'm runnin an M848 mobo, amd xp 3000 cpu, and 512 SDRAM. i tried installing overclock-able drivers, hoping they'd be better, but i'm still havin the same problem. i'm pretty sure there's no heatsink on the card, just a fan.

VPU Recover is a new feature of ATI drivers that restarts the driver if it fails. That way you only have to restart the game rather than the entire computer. I've read on some other forums that VPU Recover has been causing problems in several games, but I havent found a soultion yet. You could disable VPU Recover in the Radeon display properties but if the games still crashes, then you will most likely have to restart the computer. I guess you could also try installing older drivers and see if that works.

i tried installing several old drivers, and they just crashed the whole computer. i was wondering if there was anything i was doing that could be causing this crash, or anything i could do to prevent it. possibally if somebody has had this problem in the past and fixed it?

If old drivers dont work either then it probably isn't a problem with VPU Recover. Are you running any other programs when you start counter strike?

look in your bios at AGP settings for UC or USWC
USWC (uncacheable speculative write combining) is a new cache
technology for the video memory of the processor.It can greatly improve the display speed by caching the display data.
You must set this to UC (uncacheable) if your display card does not support this feature , otherwise the system may not boot or may crash randomly . I ve had mine set at UC but i didnt crash however my card ran terrible and games would hang up . Im running a 9700 Pro . Dont no if this will help but look in your bios .
Also see what your voltage seetings are if aplicable

i couldn't find anything for write combining for video memory. the only thing as far as cashe went was system bios casheable. i read somewhere that it was only for pentium, and i got amd, but i'm not sure.

Does your board have 8x AGP? I have a ATI 9600 All-In-Wonder, and for some reason, even though both my board and the card are 8x compatible, the card was set at 4x. I had to manually change the setting.

Something to check, at least, if you haven't already.

ok i may have found something. my mobo specs say this:

Provides one 8X AGP slot (AGP 3.0 compliant, supports 1.5V AGP Interface only)

and my video card specs say this:

compatible with AGP 4X (1.5V), 8X (0.8v) or Universal AGP 3.0 bus configuration (4X/8X)

i don't know if this is a problem or not, maybe you could help me understand what all this means.

whats your voltage currently set at ? Also check to see if you can disable fastwrites in the ATI display settings .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom