Never Seen this Before...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FghtinIrshNvrDi

Fully Optimized
I really have never seen this before. It's an error 'bubble' that's popping up from my system tray. What does it mean when it says that virtual memory is running low? Is there a place where I can adjust the memory cache higher or something to allow this not to happen?

Ryan

Attachments

• virtual memory.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 48
Sure, there is a place where you may adjust this. But first, can you throw out some details on the computer that you are seeing this on? Obviously, you are running Windows 2000 or higher, but more details would be nice. Also, what exactly do you use this computer for? Typically, how many applications do you run at the same time?

Right-click "My Computer" >> "Properties" >> "Advanced" Tab >> "Settings" button in "Performance" >> "Advanced" Tab >> "Change" Button.

Choose custom size. Make both the minimum and maximum the same size. For your system in your sig, I would use 1GB.

The defaults when installing Windows for the first time should be ok....especially with your setup in your signature....thats why I wanted to make sure it wasn't another computer first.

Unless you are attempting to lauch a program that controls an orbiting space shuttle from that PC, than I smell somthing fishy about your setup on that computer.

lol... no satellites here. I really don't know where this is coming from. I'm running XP with the computer in the sig. Lemme give the first suggestion a whirl. Be back in a minute boys.

Ryan

edit: Alright, set it to a few more. It was at 768mb. I usually don't run toooo much at once. Windows Media Player 10, AIM (w/ DeadAim), Minesweeper, and firefox with a few tabs. Also speedfan... and Cisco Clean Access Agent, and Asus Gameface, Virus Scan, Nvidia firewall, and inCD. I mean, I listed a bunch of stuff, but most of that junk is tiny and doesn't really even 'run' while it's open.

Ryan

I currently have 2x512MB, and using less than half of that 99.99% of the time. I set the paging file on mine to 25MB, and although Windows complains (like it does... fuggin Windows....) and gives me the same "error" it still runs completely fine. in fact, it runs better than if I set it higher than that.

you have 1536MB or 1.5GB of RAM, which is more than what I have, so your computer should run fine regardless of how low the paging file is set, unless your programs are REALLY memory intensive. although Windows might complain from time to time, that's just Windows. it's not very intelligent.

although sometimes you might have to actually look at the size of the paging file (C:\pagefile.sys) to make sure it is actually the size you set. sometimes when I set it really low, to 10MB or something, Windows will still make it 1.5GB. so I keep it at 25MB which is about as low as Windows will actually make it.

apokalipse said:
you have 1536MB or 1.5GB of RAM, which is more than what I have, so your computer should run fine regardless of how low the paging file is set, unless your programs are REALLY memory intensive. although Windows might complain from time to time, that's just Windows. it's not very intelligent.

although sometimes you might have to actually look at the size of the paging file (C:\pagefile.sys) to make sure it is actually the size you set. sometimes when I set it really low, to 10MB or something, Windows will still make it 1.5GB. so I keep it at 25MB which is about as low as Windows will actually make it.
yea thts true..........i dont think u need to worry with that error, its just windows acting up......unless of course u end up actually strugglin to get your minimized windows open.....then u will need to up it. ....
but just this........what if its set to system chache...then what......does the RAM take care of that as well? i dont think so......but tell me......

I set mine to 4096. Never have I seen that error message after this or do I ever see it when the error is present and I raise it higher

your hard drive might be full. I would put the virtual memory file (swap file) on it's own partition at the begining of a second hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom