Controlling a computer with the human brain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
Here is an article I found, it's about a year old and it might not be new to some of you, but it's the first time i've seen it.

This is absolutely remarkable. I hope this technology is further developed. Although... it could be really freakin' dangerous...

Did you know that the human brain is more powerful then 10's of thousands of microprocessors all working together? Even the most powerful 25 million dollar supercomputers can't match the power of the human brain. That's pretty scary...

But read this article... very interesting!
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2004-10-10-braingate-cover_x.htm

Did you know that the human brain is more powerful then 10's of thousands of microprocessors all working together? Even the most powerful 25 million dollar supercomputers can't match the power of the human brain.
Why do you think in one of the threads about graphics processing will be another box I said "We need to just make the human brain be able to be used as a processor"

Human brain could handle CPU, GPU, PPU, and whatever other kind of processing units you could think of and chances are you wouldn't be able to really 'tax the system' any time soon.

not to mention that it's storage capacity would be monsterous to a point we practically can't fathom.

I've seen this kind of thing before though...this guy wanted to implant a chip in his arm because apparently theres a nerve in there that goes straight to the brain...he wanted to be able to open doors, turn on the computer with his thoughts...the scary part was though, he wanted to communicate with the computer and wasn't sure that once the info went from the computer up into his brain if he'd just collapse and die, or go insane or what lol.

lol... collapse, die or go insane would be bad.

I'm a true believer in the human "Sixth Sense". Which has been proven to really exist. It just only tapped into by a very small percentage of people. Which means that there are a very large number of disbelievers, basically because they haven't yet experienced the power of the sixth sense. Which like I said, "I'm a believer."

Think about this compared to the highest-end CPU.

The brain makes up 2% of a person's weight. Despite this, even at rest, the brain consumes 20% of the body's energy. The brain consumes energy at 10 times the rate of the rest of the body per gram of tissue. The average power consumption of a typical adult is 100 Watts and the brain consumes 20% of this making the power of the brain 20 W. This is the reason why a human that goes without rest for 24 to 36 hours will experience hallucinations and will appear insane. There just won't be enough energy for the brain to function properly.

20 watts is pretty freakin' impressive. Think of a P4 3.2 prescott that consumes roughly 105 watts and is like 1 million times less powerful.

The human brain... oh if i had the time, i'd go back to college and just study the human brain... I could spend the rest of my life studing it and would probably only learn 25% of what it can potentially do....

I wonder how far I could overclock it!

of course, people wouldn't be able to use liquid nitrogen with a brain, nor would cooling really matter...I mean it'd matter to a certain degree to the point you'd want to keep it at the normal 96.8 fahrenheit a normal human is, but it wouldn't ever get over heated from working or anything.

'Whats your brains temp at full load? 96.8....like it should be'

Think of the power you'd save...basically all you'd need is a floppy and CD-Rom...the brain would do all calculations and data storage..it would be the CPU, PPU, GPU, RAM, Hard Drives, motherboard....so you could get away with a 50w PSU :D

Oh man, I'm gettin my hands on the latest brain ASAP...I'm gonna overclock it to...ehh...better brain levels

lol... nubius you can poke fun at my post... but you know the truth behind it. lol...

At 104F or above the human brain will actually being to cook, brain cells and tissue willl die, and eventually so will you.

That's why high fevers should be treated immediately!

We only use 10% of our brains and they consume about 20watts at rest. Which is why a lot of our body heat is released through the top of our heads.

Now imagine if we were able to increase the percentage of usage of our brains to say 20%, now our brains would need to consume 40watts. Which means more heat... This would be the overclocking you are talking about. Although it's not a measurement in speed, it would be a measurement in usage.

We'd all have to wear special cooling caps... So our brains wouldn't overheat and we would die...

DJ-CHRIS said:
In some ways were less powerful than computers.

Try to remeber a 10 gig database

That's not a function of how powerfull a computer is. That's a function of the storage potential. A CPU still needs to go through many things to display the data for a 10gig database or a 1000gig database.

The storage potential of our brains is unlimited, it's just a matter of training your brain to retain the information. 100 billion neurons firing...
On - Off - On - Off.... Just like 0,1,0,1 in binary code...

There is no computer on this earth that can compete with the potential of the human brain...

In some ways were less powerful than computers.

Try to remeber a 10 gig database
Yeah but that's us as humans....if you were to program a brain it wouldn't be the same as you or me...all your memories, however, from childhood until now is FAR beyond that of 10gb dude...tons of terabytes for that information alone not to mention your overall knowledge.

Havoc - I wasn't poking fun at anything, I'm halfway serious lol, minus the whole overclocking part.

BTW. for the longest time I thought it was true that we only use 10% of our brains, but that's not true...we use 100% of our brains, but we only use approx 10% at any given task.

At 104F or above the human brain will actually being to cook, brain cells and tissue willl die, and eventually so will you.

That's why high fevers should be treated immediately!
yeah this is why I said "You'd just have to keep it at a normal 98.6"

so lets suppose for a moment we have some shell which houses this human brain...on hot summer days, since it's not within a body that DOES regulat heat, you'd basically have to have an environmental control system for the shell your human brain/computer is operating in to keep it at that temperature.

Now, notice I said we don't use more than 10% at a given time...so that's like no matter what you were doing on this 'computer' the load never goes above 10%.......sooo yes, if that beotch was up at 100%....:drool: and using it strictly as a processing unit I'm sure it'd be a ridiculously amazing thing, to which we couldn't possibly begin to estimate or understand at this juncture.

All this talk really makes me want my own human brain in a shell to use as a computer :D

Oooh Oooh I know! Maybe I can have SLI brains! :D

You also have to remember that there's some memory stored in the brain that you don't even think is there...stuff like keeping your heart beating or basic movements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom