Performance Ram vs Value ... Worth the huge jump in price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

majinvash

Beta member
Hi

I've had a quick flick and i couldnt find this asked before.. soz if it has.

I need to upgrade the memory on my pc

P4 3Ghz
MSI 915 Neo2 Mobo
Audigy Platium
ATI X850XT PE
Raid HD setup
Top end PSU

Generally a fairly good PC

My problem is my RAM, i currently have 1GB ( 2 x 512 Corsair value PC4200 533 DDR2 ). And my pc is hanging takes quite a while for games to be ready once they start loading etc

I have the option to upgrade to 2GB of Corsair XMS Twin X for £270
But for the same money and less i could get 4GB of Corsair Value or Geil Value.

£200 for the Value select
£260 for the Geil Value

What would you recommend?

I pretty much only use my PC to play online games currently addicted to BF2 ..

Would i see noticably better performance with the performance Ram over the Value stuff?

Would 4GB of Value out perform 2GB of pro ram?

Is the Geil stuff alot better than the corsair value?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Cheers

Mat

Performance ram is only any good if you overclock. The difference with out overclocking is nothing.

4gb's of ram is even more pointless, because it will slow your PC down, due to it bogging down the memory controller, so it will slow down your PC. (If you have a server more ram will help.)

More ram is good, until you overload it with more than it can handle. 4gb's is also not needed yet.

2gb's is the perfect amount for games like battlefield 2, where there is huge maps. I believe FEAR is also hungry on memory.

Anyway, If I was you, I would get the same again to take it up to 2gb's of corsair value.

Trifid said:
Performance ram is only any good if you overclock. The difference with out overclocking is nothing.

4gb's of ram is even more pointless, because it will slow your PC down, due to it bogging down the memory controller, so it will slow down your PC. (If you have a server more ram will help.)

So what's the future hold? How can you make the memory controller stable enough to hold 4gb of memory?

you can't. It's on the processor now for the AMD Athlon 64 anyway. It goes with the processor, and as the processors become more beefy the ram won't slow it up. Perhaps the M2 socket will provide enough bandwidth to utilize 4gigs without bogging. I still don't see the need. You only need as much ram as your programs want.

Ryan

AH HA! I am glad to see that people are recommending valueRAM when someone doesnt intend on overclocking. It seems that people have been reading my RAM Guide! Or...maybe not ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom